The Student Room Group

Is it worth pursuing academia if I currently hate it?

Currently, the only tolerable thing I am doing at College is Pure Mathematics (and computer science theory). For reference I am studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and, CS.
My exam board for maths is MEI who are the only exam board to do a comprehension paper and I despise both Mechanics and Statistics. Even though my predicted are all A*'s, based on self analysis I can see that my last Mechanics only test I got a grade C and am not confident with both it and Statistics. Furthermore, I struggle to apply myself to pick up on these issues and I am several months behind in the project work of CS which is leaving me immensely stressed.

Should I quit academia after College is over???
(edited 9 months ago)
What would you like to do instead?
Original post by PQ
What would you like to do instead?

Nothing tbh 😂
Just unsure whether Uni is worth it rather than just looking for a job
I'd note that "academia" more usually refers to working in the higher education sector as a researcher (and inevitably, a lecturer) - this is usually "PhD and onwards" level.

In any event, if you don't enjoy formal academic study no reason to continue with it needlessly. Also remember that even if you don't immediately pursue a degree, there's no barrier to you going back later to get one if you change your mind.

Perfectly reasonable to look for work after leaving school, or if you don't mind some elements of academic study an apprenticeship may also be an option.
If you're not excited by university, then I'd say have a year off and try working, volunteering, travelling, whatever! If you apply for a course that you're not invested or super interest in, then you're just going to spend the next 3 years feeling miserable and not get much out of it. Plus after that you may work a job and think, wow this is awesome, I want to study this and by then it might not be possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending