The Student Room Group

Occupational Health Checks and Midwifery

I'm currently filling out an occupational health check questionnaire for September and they've asked for my height and BMI.
I gained a lot of weight when my chronic illness had me stuck in bed. My illness is now under control and I'm in the process of losing weight (18lbs down already!) but my BMI is still really high.
The interviewers saw my weight during interviews and still offered me places, but I'm so nervous this will ruin my chances.

Anyone got any advice to give?
don't stress it, we come in all shapes & sizes one of my friends is a nurse and she was around a size 26 throughout her training. As long as it doesn't affect your ability to do what you need to do you are fine.
Original post by Pebbles-Beth
I'm currently filling out an occupational health check questionnaire for September and they've asked for my height and BMI.
I gained a lot of weight when my chronic illness had me stuck in bed. My illness is now under control and I'm in the process of losing weight (18lbs down already!) but my BMI is still really high.
The interviewers saw my weight during interviews and still offered me places, but I'm so nervous this will ruin my chances.

Hi

Don't panic over your weight or bmi as I can gaunantee you that there's bigger nursing students & also qualified nurses who are larger than you ok.
There a nurse who only occasionally work same shift as myself who is about a size 40 who is managing her job so don't let this put you of ok.
End of the day providing you are capable of doing the job without problems them you got absolutely nothing to worry about.

Don't be nervous this will ruin your chances as we do come in all shapes and sizes as OP said to on it.

I'm a registered midwife and I see all sizes about the hospital.
Original post by bunnieboo
don't stress it, we come in all shapes & sizes one of my friends is a nurse and she was around a size 26 throughout her training. As long as it doesn't affect your ability to do what you need to do you are fine.

It doesn't affect me in the slightest (aside from my confidence 😂). Thanks for replying! I've been worrying about it since I applied. I just needed some reassurance 😅
Original post by Tracey_W
Hi

Don't panic over your weight or bmi as I can gaunantee you that there's bigger nursing students & also qualified nurses who are larger than you ok.
There a nurse who only occasionally work same shift as myself who is about a size 40 who is managing her job so don't let this put you of ok.
End of the day providing you are capable of doing the job without problems them you got absolutely nothing to worry about.

Don't be nervous this will ruin your chances as we do come in all shapes and sizes as OP said to on it.

I'm a registered midwife and I see all sizes about the hospital.

Thank you!! I've been worrying about it for months and needed some reassurance.
I knew that it probably wouldn't affect my application, but I love to overthink things 😂
Thank you!! I've been worrying about it for months and needed some reassurance.
I knew that it probably wouldn't affect my application, but I love to overthink things 😂

Hi
No worries as you will be fine okay unless Occupionational health tells you differently.
Just look forward in starting as a student nurse and helping people get better,xx
Once you start your placements you'll be on your feet most of the day so what you are doing now will benefit you in long run okay xx

Hi!! I hope everything worked out well for you. I am in a similar situation to you where my BMI is around 32, and I am worried that my medical school will not let me start the course because of it. Could you please tell me how everything worked out for you? Were you able to start your degree? Did they care about your BMI?
Reply 7
Original post by Ahidkwhattotype
Hi!! I hope everything worked out well for you. I am in a similar situation to you where my BMI is around 32, and I am worried that my medical school will not let me start the course because of it. Could you please tell me how everything worked out for you? Were you able to start your degree? Did they care about your BMI?

Don't worry about it until you have a occupational health assessment as there's plenty of large NHS staff who are working as nurses.
Reply 8
i would not worry. occy health are really there to support you. they may want to chat about your long term health issue but only to see if they can help.
Reply 9
Original post by Ahidkwhattotype

Hey! It did! I'm just about to start my final year :smile: after submitting the first occupational health report, I was called to discuss other health conditions. They briefly mentioned my weight but only in relation to COVID-19 (i.e., if COVID-19 returned to a 2020 situation, I wouldn't be able to go out on placement) - which is funny because I've caught it 3 times and been fine! I've lost and gained weight while on the course and no one has made a comment. There are so many body types on my course and in the hospitals - no one seems to care! Good luck with med school!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending