The Student Room Group

healthcare assistant job

I've started as a HCA in outpatients and today the doctor who's clinic I was in told me to get water for him and then make him a coffee. The other HA said its part of the job.

It was not written in the job description or contract to to that.

I am more then happy to give patients water and clean the room and everything but I'm not a a locum doctors personal assistant

Is this normal?
Original post by Kdog21
I've started as a HCA in outpatients and today the doctor who's clinic I was in told me to get water for him and then make him a coffee. The other HA said its part of the job.

I am more then happy to give patients water and clean the room and everything but I'm not a a locum doctors personal assistant

Is this normal?

Unfortunately it's just part of the job 😕.
What the other HCA said is correct as you do as asked.
Reply 2
I think the coffee should be for the patients and if it’s for the doctors it should be an appreciated favour rather than an obligation. Whether I’d make a thing of it if I otherwise wanted to get on in the role is another matter
Reply 3
Original post by Kdog21

Is this normal?

HCA here, yes it's normal - technically you're right it's not your job, and they can't make you do it if you refused, but why would you create conflict and a bad reputation for yourself for no reason? I get wanting to focus on patients, and there are definitely doctors who abuse it which we do need to stand up to, but getting someone a coffee occasionally is just a courtesy, it doesn't get in the way of your work with the patients so it seems counter-productive to make a fuss about it, especially when you're new, you don't wanna get a reputation for being difficult as it'll only limit your own opportunities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending