The Student Room Group

French grammar - when to use de

I do a level french and it just seems to me like there are always ‘de’ in front of everything. I understand how to use the different forms of de before le/la/les/l’, but I have no idea when to use them in front of like adjectives and infinitives because to me it just seems random and that there is no set rule🫠 my teacher hasn’t gone through this so I would really appreciate it if someone could explain it to me 😊 thanks
Reply 1
well it is very similar, with adjectives im not sure i see a way you would need to put de infront of them, but with infinitives unfortunately there is really no set rule! its either de or a, if you mean to say do something to someone, but de faire is always de faire but you have aider a, you just need to learn which to use for important ones, but tbh if you really dont know in an exam, just use what sounds better!
Original post by beefreya
well it is very similar, with adjectives im not sure i see a way you would need to put de infront of them, but with infinitives unfortunately there is really no set rule! its either de or a, if you mean to say do something to someone, but de faire is always de faire but you have aider a, you just need to learn which to use for important ones, but tbh if you really dont know in an exam, just use what sounds better!

Thank you for the clarification, I really appreciate it :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending