The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

anyone studying paramedic science at plymouth uni?

Hi, I'm starting at Plymouth Sept 2023. regarding the placements, i have eard that they take place over the summer holidays and that they are very difficult to secure. Apparently, getting a placement with a private ambulance trust is being stopped as the provate companies are then 'stealing' the student to work/train with them instead! I have heard a few paramedic students having to do their placements in an old people's home. Anyone know if ther is any truth in this?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm starting at Plymouth Sept 2023. regarding the placements, i have eard that they take place over the summer holidays and that they are very difficult to secure. Apparently, getting a placement with a private ambulance trust is being stopped as the provate companies are then 'stealing' the student to work/train with them instead! I have heard a few paramedic students having to do their placements in an old people's home. Anyone know if ther is any truth in this?

Hi,

Plymouth para sci student here. I can confirm that placements are not held over the summer, however there may be an exception if you don't achieve the target hours of placement throughout the 3 years, in which case you may have to do a few shifts out of university time, but this is highly unlikely. Placements are delivered with South Western Ambulance Service NHS Trust, and first year consists of frontline placement only (may change as of 2023, but unlikely), as the second year introduces acute placements such as paediatric and maternity placements (and include a choice of others such as Care Homes, Surgical Placement, Coronary Care Unit, etc.)
Feel free to message any of the Paramedic Team via email, all of which are available on the course website.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending