The Student Room Group

placement stress

I have said this before, but I hate going to my placement, they treat me like I'm an employee, there is no teaching, no guidance, my supervisor is ****. Even the clinical teaching, like bloods and stuff isn't good.

I have told the lecturer in charge of placements at my uni, had 3 meetings with her and she is **** as well, doesn't do anything. I hate coming in the next day and hearing how much everyone has learnt. From the Fridays before, I even dread going into placement on Wednesday. I even have gastritis from the stress caused by this.
Also our supervisor for some reason doesn't bring his own stethoscope and uses mine. I really don't like sharing stethoscopes with people as it is, but he also puts his fingers in his mouth when he is thinking, idk if he realises and then uses my stethoscope. How do i tell him nicely that i don't want him using mine?
Original post by Kdog21
I have said this before, but I hate going to my placement, they treat me like I'm an employee, there is no teaching, no guidance, my supervisor is ****. Even the clinical teaching, like bloods and stuff isn't good.

I have told the lecturer in charge of placements at my uni, had 3 meetings with her and she is **** as well, doesn't do anything. I hate coming in the next day and hearing how much everyone has learnt. From the Fridays before, I even dread going into placement on Wednesday. I even have gastritis from the stress caused by this.
Also our supervisor for some reason doesn't bring his own stethoscope and uses mine. I really don't like sharing stethoscopes with people as it is, but he also puts his fingers in his mouth when he is thinking, idk if he realises and then uses my stethoscope. How do i tell him nicely that i don't want him using mine?

Just tell him as it so unhygenic and with Covid you would have thought people would have learnt this especially if you are in a clinical setting. Also if it is making you sick speak to your lecture and tell them do something as this isn't on.
Reply 2
Hey guys thanks for replying I spoke to the lecturer in charge of placement and she basically did nothing. I don't know what to do, everyone else on my course has a good supervisor and is learning a lot, i feel like i am going to be behind and waste a whole year at that placement
Original post by Kdog21
Hey guys thanks for replying I spoke to the lecturer in charge of placement and she basically did nothing. I don't know what to do, everyone else on my course has a good supervisor and is learning a lot, i feel like i am going to be behind and waste a whole year at that placement

That's terrible. Did she say why not?
Reply 4
Original post by Kdog21

Don't let anyone else use your own personal equipment that you have bought okay.
You tell him full stop not to use your personal equipment, and then it's up to you to make sure he doesn't.

Remember that not every placement will be like this one as you'll certainly get some brilliant ones and unfortunately the odd horrible one like what you seem to be having currently.

I used my own personal equipment during my student placements and I wouldn't let anyone else use it no matter what and this was long before COVID. I just qualified many many months before COVID arrived.

I'm still the same now as a qualified midwife.
Original post by Tracey_W
Don't let anyone else use your own personal equipment that you have bought okay.
You tell him full stop not to use your personal equipment, and then it's up to you to make sure he doesn't.

Remember that not every placement will be like this one as you'll certainly get some brilliant ones and unfortunately the odd horrible one like what you seem to be having currently.

I used my own personal equipment during my student placements and I wouldn't let anyone else use it no matter what and this was long before COVID. I just qualified many many months before COVID arrived.

I'm still the same now as a qualified midwife.

Excellent. I don't like others touching or using my personal stuff either. How do you tell them politely without causing upset?
Reply 6
Original post by Kutie Karen
Excellent. I don't like others touching or using my personal stuff either. How do you tell them politely without causing upset?

Thanks 🙏

If they ask to use your equipment then you are within your rights to say "sorry I don't share my personal stuff to anyone" and don't think again about asking me, go and buy your own or ask the university or if on placement if you can temporary borrow anything they have available but personal you don't know what other people has in way of illnesses that can be passed on to someone else.

You have to say no simple as that, I don't worry about anyone getting upset about it because if you have bought it then obviously you want to look after it throughout your coursework and hopefully onto your job on qualifying.
I know it's hard to probably say no as just have to be strong to people and tell them 😂 😂 but it's not nice having others use your equipment as if they do it once they will just keep doing it.
Original post by Tracey_W
Thanks 🙏

If they ask to use your equipment then you are within your rights to say "sorry I don't share my personal stuff to anyone" and don't think again about asking me, go and buy your own or ask the university or if on placement if you can temporary borrow anything they have available but personal you don't know what other people has in way of illnesses that can be passed on to someone else.

You have to say no simple as that, I don't worry about anyone getting upset about it because if you have bought it then obviously you want to look after it throughout your coursework and hopefully onto your job on qualifying.
I know it's hard to probably say no as just have to be strong to people and tell them 😂 😂 but it's not nice having others use your equipment as if they do it once they will just keep doing it.

yes absolutely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending