The Student Room Group

A level Resit

How do Resits work? Are there any exams earlier than May/June. And how do you apply to universities during your gap year? And what grades do you use in the application?
Reply 1
Original post by MRayn
How do Resits work? Are there any exams earlier than May/June. And how do you apply to universities during your gap year? And what grades do you use in the application?

Idk about ALs for certain but ik that GCSEs do resits in November with results in January. If there are no November exams then you have to wait until summer exam season. Once you've done your resits you can use the new grades (with the correct dates).
Reply 2
Original post by MRayn

You resit in the summer, and it's probably easiest to ask your current college if you can do so there. If they don't allow it, exam boards have lists of exam centres you can apply to on their websites.

You apply to uni the same way you normally would (and can ask your college to let you apply using their buzzword so they can support your application, although you can also apply independently). You would include your original grades, and then enter the resit grades as "pending", meaning you'd have two copies of the resit subjects on your application, one for each year.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Interea
You resit in the summer, and it's probably easiest to ask your current college if you can do so there. If they don't allow it, exam boards have lists of exam centres you can apply to on their websites.

You apply to uni the same way you normally would (and can ask your college to let you apply using their buzzword so they can support your application, although you can also apply independently). You would include your original grades, and then enter the resit grades as
Reply 4
The Uni's I want to apply to have entry requirements higher than what I think I will achieve, so if I take a gap year can I just not apply to those unis again? Can I use my predicted grades?
Reply 5
You will need to find someone to provide your UCAS reference. Your school might be willing to do that. If you a retaking but not studying in school (i.e. an independent exam candidate) unless you are very lucky it is unlikely the school will provide predicted grades. You cannot re-use the predictions you had previously (that will have been shown to be incorrect anyway if you are right about your results). If you engage a private tutor they might be willing to act as a reference and provide predicted grades. Otherwise you might need to apply without predictions and ask your referee to mention your personal targets in the reference.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest