The Student Room Group

Is it rude if someone keeps bugging you and talking about how much money you have?

So my older cousin often brings this up and it bothers me but idk if I’m overreacting. I’m unemployed on benefits living at home still and I’m being financially supported by my family somewhat (I don’t pay rent for example) I don’t exactly want to be in the position I’m in and would like to be financially independent I’m just in it bc of mental health difficulties and I’m ashamed of it, I also do hold back on spending bc I’m trying to save but even then I don’t have a lot in the bank.

I’ve only known my cousin for a couple of years, and she’s a good person in a lot of ways but the one thing that bothers me is her often picking on the fact that I don’t spend much and I’m not paying rent and I must have a lot of money in the bank and that I must be stingy. It’s in a joking fashion more often than not but it feels slightly berating and I find it annoying, especially because of the reasons why I’m in this position which is a sensitive subject for me (which she is empathetic about but she doesn’t seem to put two and two together).

Not just that but she can afford to be frivolous with her money because she makes a lot of money. Like if it was a one time thing I’d be fine with it but she just keeps bringing up the topic. I don’t know whether I’m being overly sensitive about it or whether I have good reason to feel this way- I just find it annoying and a bit invasive personally.
It could be that she just has her own insecurities and issues with money, it’s clear that she doesn’t know what goes on behind closed doors, and perhaps neither you do for her. To answer your question, it can be perceived as rude, especially as it’s making you uncomfortable (and it’s okay to feel that way), but think about the miscommunication inbetween you two. Maybe, if you’re comfortable with her knowing and are in that kind of relationship, you could tell her why and hopefully tell her to stop. If not, the best advice to give is, unfortunately, just don’t let it get to you too much, and know that you are doing so well so far with the financial problems in your way.
Reply 2
Original post by missgingeryer
It could be that she just has her own insecurities and issues with money, it’s clear that she doesn’t know what goes on behind closed doors, and perhaps neither you do for her. To answer your question, it can be perceived as rude, especially as it’s making you uncomfortable (and it’s okay to feel that way), but think about the miscommunication inbetween you two. Maybe, if you’re comfortable with her knowing and are in that kind of relationship, you could tell her why and hopefully tell her to stop. If not, the best advice to give is, unfortunately, just don’t let it get to you too much, and know that you are doing so well so far with the financial problems in your way.

Thanks for this. She’s aware of my situation it’s just she seems to stop associating my situation with the reasons behind it, like jus forgets.
Ah, i understand. In that case, it could purely be her own insecurities that could potentially blind her from remembering the real reason, which cannot be helped. If comfortable, and if you haven’t don’t so already, try setting boundaries? nothing too crazy, just like letting her know that it doesn’t make you feel happy. But, i know that’s easier said that done, and if you’ve already done it and she still says what she says, it’s a case of her own personality and thoughts. Sorry you feel like this, i hope things get better in the future, sending love <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending