The Student Room Group

Aero-Mechanical Engineering Strathclyde or Aerospace Systems Glasgow?

I'm currently in the process of writing my UCAS application for 2024 entry, and I find myself torn between two amazing options: Aerospace Systems at Glasgow University and Aero-Mechanical at Strathclyde University. I would really appreciate any advice on which one should be my top choice on UCAS, as well as which program to ultimately choose if I'm fortunate enough to receive offers from both universities. If anyone has firsthand experience, insights into the course structures, faculty, research opportunities, or any other relevant factors, please do share them with me. Although its still a while before the application deadline I want to be well informed and prepared, your advice will play a crucial role in shaping my academic and career path, so thank you in advance for your valuable input!
Original post by jadepetersen06
I'm currently in the process of writing my UCAS application for 2024 entry, and I find myself torn between two amazing options: Aerospace Systems at Glasgow University and Aero-Mechanical at Strathclyde University. I would really appreciate any advice on which one should be my top choice on UCAS, as well as which program to ultimately choose if I'm fortunate enough to receive offers from both universities. If anyone has firsthand experience, insights into the course structures, faculty, research opportunities, or any other relevant factors, please do share them with me. Although its still a while before the application deadline I want to be well informed and prepared, your advice will play a crucial role in shaping my academic and career path, so thank you in advance for your valuable input!

Hey there! Sorry you've not had a reply to this in a few days, but really pleased to hear you're considering us for next year :biggrin:

You're right in saying that you've lots of time to research so starting to gather info now can only set you up well :smile: The one thing I would recommend planning in the coming months is visiting both university Open days in the Autumn time. Open days are (in my opinion!) one of the best ways to get to know a university and to really imagine yourself as a student there. You'll have a chance to take mini lectures, campus tours, speak with staff and students too so that you've got a good feel for the course and what your student life might look like. When I was researching where I wanted to go it was attending an open day that made a really big difference to me. Ours are coming up on the 5th September and 7th October this year so pop one of those dates in your diary!

Other than that, I think speaking to students is really valuable and if you don't happen to find anyone here on TSR you can try using a platform like Unibuddy. Here's a link to one of our Unibuddies studying Mechanical Engineering (within the same department as our Aero-Mech students) who'll be able to share some of her experiences with you. Our buddies are really helpful and will happily chat with you about all the important areas you've mentioned above :h: I think that Glasgow Uni use it too.

Remember as well that you don't need to have a 'top' choice when you submit your UCAS form. You'll apply to five courses and they're essentially randomised - so universities won't know which one is your favourite. Even after you submit the application, you still have loads of time to continue your research so don't put too much pressure on yourself this summer.

If you have any questions please do give me a shout!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest