The Student Room Group

what career do my interests suit?

So im currently 17, thinking about what direction I want to go in, but the issue is I have so many potential interests, so I was wondering if anyone has an suggestions on what career/degree might suit me!!!

So my interests are split in the science/social science/humanities/arts:

Science/social science: I really love psych and neuroscience, and a field i’m interested in is the intersection between psychology and tech. I’m not particularly interested in going down a clinical psych route (i’m fairly introverted and a little over sensitive so I wouldn’t be well suited). I’m pretty proficient in maths, so computational/statistical/data related work would be ok (but not things like CS, as I like to have that behavioural psych perspective)

humanities: I study geo and am interested in the humanitarian sector, things like learning about disaster response and mitigating global issues that sort of thing

arts: naturally I am a very creative/artistic person, I really love the nature of design eg media marketing campaigns or just in general being able to create something.
Id also say I’m pretty good at writing/editing (a lot of my friends ask me to write/edit short texts!!)

The common advice would be for me to go to open days, attend webinars, take career quizzes etc but I have done so and still really don’t know what career would ‘suit’ me. Are there any fields which fit these interests (doesn’t have to include all as it’s quite a mix)?
Original post by Anonymous
So im currently 17, thinking about what direction I want to go in, but the issue is I have so many potential interests, so I was wondering if anyone has an suggestions on what career/degree might suit me!!!

So my interests are split in the science/social science/humanities/arts:

Science/social science: I really love psych and neuroscience, and a field i’m interested in is the intersection between psychology and tech. I’m not particularly interested in going down a clinical psych route (i’m fairly introverted and a little over sensitive so I wouldn’t be well suited). I’m pretty proficient in maths, so computational/statistical/data related work would be ok (but not things like CS, as I like to have that behavioural psych perspective)

humanities: I study geo and am interested in the humanitarian sector, things like learning about disaster response and mitigating global issues that sort of thing

arts: naturally I am a very creative/artistic person, I really love the nature of design eg media marketing campaigns or just in general being able to create something.
Id also say I’m pretty good at writing/editing (a lot of my friends ask me to write/edit short texts!!)

The common advice would be for me to go to open days, attend webinars, take career quizzes etc but I have done so and still really don’t know what career would ‘suit’ me. Are there any fields which fit these interests (doesn’t have to include all as it’s quite a mix)?

Rather than looking at what careers suit your (current) interests, it would be better to look at what careers are in-demand and well enough remunerated to support the lifestyle you are after. Most careers probably have little if anything to do with academic subjects, so don't be limited to just your favourite subjects at school. Look into a variety of careers and consider whether you have the skills or interest in them to pursue them further.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending