The Student Room Group

Am I over reacting

So part of me knows i’m being horrible and probably petty but I feel like my friends don’t really care sometimes so i’m not replying.

I tried to organise something (messaged them on six or more separate occasions) and I literally planned everything but they were barely giving me anything back. I did give them the option not to go but they claimed they wanted too. I then sold my ticket because it was getting too short notice and they hadn’t booked anything and I didn’t want to go alone.

When arranging these plans one of my friends just wasn’t replying at all. She did at one point say she was going to get back to me but never did. I do recognise she was maybe busy working but she seems to be able to reply to my other friend no problem. She does reply when it’s something that interests her though. For instance my other friend got two Taylor Swift tickets and she replied in seconds.

The Taylor Swift tickets have also been a tough spot for me because my friend got two tickets which meant the two of them are going and I won’t be. One of them said to me in the group chat “are you ok with that, I know you weren’t keen but it’s not ideal” but I wouldn’t have signed up for a code if I hadn’t wanted to go.

I know I certainly wouldn’t have payed the amount they are but I hate the way she said it as she just automatically gave the other ticket to my other friend. I personally would have said “hey, I’ve managed to get two Taylor Swift tickets and we can draw a name out of a hat or yous can discuss between yourselves on who wants to go” or something instead. If she had said that, I wouldn’t have been as bothered and I probably would have just said for the two of them to go anyway but it’s the principle of the way she wrote it.

So i’m currently not responding to them because I don’t even know what to say. One of them has suggested we go out because she’s home in a few weeks but I just don’t feel like going. It’s also the fact that one of them has a screensaver with a photo of the two of them without me.

I’m probably blowing this out of proportion but my mum totally doesn’t like them and thinks they are both very selfish because of other things in the past. I don’t even know where to start if I do message them about how I feel or do I just leave the group chat (maybe too dramatic but it’s how I feel sometimes).
Reply 1
It does seem like they are excluding you to some degree unfortunately. Im not sure how many people ur refering to, but from what I can tell if just seems like 3 of you? Groups of 3 friends does often become a 3rd wheel situation I think. I mean u can always jsut talk to them about it, they might not actually know, or might think that ur okay with it if u havent spoken about it. If you are hurt by it then maybe its because ur too dependent on just 2 people - if ur able to go out and make friends urself instead of having a much smaller group this si much less likely to happen
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So part of me knows i’m being horrible and probably petty but I feel like my friends don’t really care sometimes so i’m not replying.

I tried to organise something (messaged them on six or more separate occasions) and I literally planned everything but they were barely giving me anything back. I did give them the option not to go but they claimed they wanted too. I then sold my ticket because it was getting too short notice and they hadn’t booked anything and I didn’t want to go alone.

When arranging these plans one of my friends just wasn’t replying at all. She did at one point say she was going to get back to me but never did. I do recognise she was maybe busy working but she seems to be able to reply to my other friend no problem. She does reply when it’s something that interests her though. For instance my other friend got two Taylor Swift tickets and she replied in seconds.

The Taylor Swift tickets have also been a tough spot for me because my friend got two tickets which meant the two of them are going and I won’t be. One of them said to me in the group chat “are you ok with that, I know you weren’t keen but it’s not ideal” but I wouldn’t have signed up for a code if I hadn’t wanted to go.

I know I certainly wouldn’t have payed the amount they are but I hate the way she said it as she just automatically gave the other ticket to my other friend. I personally would have said “hey, I’ve managed to get two Taylor Swift tickets and we can draw a name out of a hat or yous can discuss between yourselves on who wants to go” or something instead. If she had said that, I wouldn’t have been as bothered and I probably would have just said for the two of them to go anyway but it’s the principle of the way she wrote it.

So i’m currently not responding to them because I don’t even know what to say. One of them has suggested we go out because she’s home in a few weeks but I just don’t feel like going. It’s also the fact that one of them has a screensaver with a photo of the two of them without me.

I’m probably blowing this out of proportion but my mum totally doesn’t like them and thinks they are both very selfish because of other things in the past. I don’t even know where to start if I do message them about how I feel or do I just leave the group chat (maybe too dramatic but it’s how I feel sometimes).

You have given them plenty of notice. I must admit even just reading this I agree with your mother. Do I think you're over reacting? No.

I'm going to say that if I was in this situation and this happened to me I would have probably also gotten rid of these friends as I feel they ain't being actual friends.
Reply 3
Original post by Ariichu
It does seem like they are excluding you to some degree unfortunately. Im not sure how many people ur refering to, but from what I can tell if just seems like 3 of you? Groups of 3 friends does often become a 3rd wheel situation I think. I mean u can always jsut talk to them about it, they might not actually know, or might think that ur okay with it if u havent spoken about it. If you are hurt by it then maybe its because ur too dependent on just 2 people - if ur able to go out and make friends urself instead of having a much smaller group this si much less likely to happen

Yeah it’s just the three of us but we don’t do stuff that often together, so I do go out with others. We don’t actually message each other that often so i’m barely dependent on them but it would be nice if they replied. I know i’ll probably have to talk to them about it but I don’t know what to say and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t over reacting before I confront them. Thanks for the reply
Reply 4
[QUOTE="tamzins;98651289"]You have given them plenty of notice. I must admit even just reading this I agree with your mother. Do I think you're over reacting? No.

I'm going to say that if I was in this situation and this happened to me I would have probably also gotten rid of these friends as I feel they ain't being actual this has made me feel somewhat better because I know it isn’t just me and my mum being overly dramatic haha
Original post by tamzins
You have given them plenty of notice. I must admit even just reading this I agree with your mother. Do I think you're over reacting? No.

I'm going to say that if I was in this situation and this happened to me I would have probably also gotten rid of these friends as I feel they ain't being actual friends.

this has made me feel better because it means that me and my mum are not just being dramatic about the way they have been acting haha, thanks for replying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending