The Student Room Group

Failed my driving test😭

So this afternoon I took my car theory driving test. For the past month or so I have devoted myself daily to revising for the theory test (questions and the hazard perception) and started taking lots of mock practice tests each day, and getting good scores (47/50 on the multiple choice, and my best mark on the hazard perception practice has been 63/70). But when I got my test back, I failed both parts; the multiple choice I got 41 out of 50, and the hazards I got 39/70. I didn't fail by a lot of marks and would like some advice on how to resolve this. I am thinking waiting for 3-4 weeks and doing some thorough driving theory revision (particularly on the areas I screwed up on) and doing some practice tests more often, and in a different setting. What do you think?
Reply 1
Once you get your results back, it should tell you the areas in which you lost marks and those should be the areas you should work on mastering over the next few weeks in order to pass. This doesn't mean you should neglect other aspects of the test as well, but also focus on the topics you got wrong. In terms of the hazard perceptions, this is completely subjective. Did you fail because you weren't able to identify the hazard or because you noticed the hazard too late? Or perhaps because you identified the wrong hazard? This is only a question you can answer, but this is my piece of advice. Good luck.
The hazard perception sounds to me you didn't click enough or you saw it but clicked far too early or late. I didn't get through all the hazard perception (mock test) when I did it as I knew what I was looking for. How I did the multiple choice was remember the question instead of the theory. Probably not the best way to do it. 1000+ questions to remember probably got through 50% remembering and I read on certain parts of the theory that would be useful or I didn't actually know.

For my method I got 49/50 68/70 respectively. Got the full license 2 months after doing theory.

Try and get some practice on the train or bus when going there, a few mock tests in your mind just in case you might haven't come across the question.
Repeat and practice with the DVSA apps, keep doing it until you get consistently at least 90% in both areas. Most of the time the questions in the apps would be very similar to what you get in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending