The Student Room Group

Reference for home-ed people

Applying to go University in Sep 2024, I've been home-schooled by my parents and brothers.
I had a few tutors 5 years ago, but probably won't be able to get in contact with them. I'm going into final year of sixth-form in September 2023. Who can I ask to give me a reference? Taking into account I need this reference by October. My future teachers will only have known me for a month, not even, by the time i need the reference.
Original post by crazyhuman007
Applying to go University in Sep 2024, I've been home-schooled by my parents and brothers.
I had a few tutors 5 years ago, but probably won't be able to get in contact with them. I'm going into final year of sixth-form in September 2023. Who can I ask to give me a reference? Taking into account I need this reference by October. My future teachers will only have known me for a month, not even, by the time i need the reference.

As I'm sure you know, UCAS say: "If possible, they should be someone who knows you academically and can talk about your work ethic, interaction with other students and your suitability for higher education or a future career." (source)

Although it's not ideal, I think your best option might be the Sixth Form you're about to join. As you say, they'll probably only have known you for 4 to 6 weeks if you're looking for a mid-October application. I suggest that you let them know you'll be looking for them to be your referee (and to predict your grades?) as soon as you arrive, so there are no surprises later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending