The Student Room Group

Would I be approved for an extra year of tuition support?

Hi guys,

So I’m a university student, about to begin Year 1 of my degree course.

The issue is, I undertook a foundation year during the 2021/2022 academic year and failed due to crippling depression, anxiety, undiagnosed (at the time) ADHD and not receiving support for my dyspraxia.

I then repeated this foundation year for the 2022/2023 academic year and passed, and I was diagnosed with ADHD over the summer.

I am meant to begin year 1 of my degree course now but I was told I would not receive a tuition fee loan for this academic year due to having used up my gift year to repeat the foundation year.

I am now in the process of applying for an extra gift year due to personal reasons and I am wondering if my circumstances would be sufficient for this application to be approved?

I’m aware that students that have dropped out or were not able to complete a prior year are given that extra year, but what about a student that has passed the year they used their gift year for? Would I be approved for extra tuition support?
Original post by zkayse
Hi guys,

So I’m a university student, about to begin Year 1 of my degree course.

The issue is, I undertook a foundation year during the 2021/2022 academic year and failed due to crippling depression, anxiety, undiagnosed (at the time) ADHD and not receiving support for my dyspraxia.

I then repeated this foundation year for the 2022/2023 academic year and passed, and I was diagnosed with ADHD over the summer.

I am meant to begin year 1 of my degree course now but I was told I would not receive a tuition fee loan for this academic year due to having used up my gift year to repeat the foundation year.

I am now in the process of applying for an extra gift year due to personal reasons and I am wondering if my circumstances would be sufficient for this application to be approved?

I’m aware that students that have dropped out or were not able to complete a prior year are given that extra year, but what about a student that has passed the year they used their gift year for? Would I be approved for extra tuition support?

Hi there,

We can accept evidence for a course that you didn't complete. So, in your case it sounds like you didn't complete your previous course and are now beginning a new one.

If your evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) shows why you didn't complete this course then that can be accepted, though this needs to be reviewed by the assessors first.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

We can accept evidence for a course that you didn't complete. So, in your case it sounds like you didn't complete your previous course and are now beginning a new one.

If your evidence for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) shows why you didn't complete this course then that can be accepted, though this needs to be reviewed by the assessors first.

Thanks, Graeme

Hi, thank you for responding!

I actually did complete the foundation year, but only on my second retake. I failed my first foundation year.

Given this, would the same CPR process apply?
Original post by zkayse
Hi, thank you for responding!

I actually did complete the foundation year, but only on my second retake. I failed my first foundation year.

Given this, would the same CPR process apply?

Okay, just to clarify: it's fine if you completed the year but didn't complete the course itself.

For example, did the course have a few more years of study after that year?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Okay, just to clarify: it's fine if you completed the year but didn't complete the course itself.

For example, did the course have a few more years of study after that year?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme, thank you for clarifying!

The course is 4 years total and I have 3 years left to study.

Kind regards,

Zach.
Original post by zkayse
Hi Graeme, thank you for clarifying!

The course is 4 years total and I have 3 years left to study.

Kind regards,

Zach.

Hi Zach,

Thank you for confirming. From what you have advised, it sounds like you would need to provide evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons evidence to us so that you can be awarded with the Tuition Fee Loan for the next academic year.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending