The Student Room Group

Placement year accommodation, halls or own apartment?

So i'm gonna be starting second year engineering soon and start looking for placements starting in 2024 and was wondering how the whole accommodation situation works.

Firstly, if the placement is in an area where there is a Uni, would I be able allowed to go into student halls as I am still technically a student. Now I get that I wouldn't be allowed in the Universities own halls as I would not be their student, however would I be allowed into private company halls like IQ student?

Secondly, if I did have the option of halls, would you recommend halls or my own separate apartment? The main reason I would opt for halls is loneliness as its not like Uni where you can get a flat together with friends etc, I would only know work colleagues. Yes I could try to find some people who are also doing a placement and find an apartment together but there is no guarantee. That is the benefit of halls, it allows you to meet people and be social.

Lastly, roughly when do you find out if you got a placement or not, because that will tell me when I need to start looking for accommodation. Or would you say it would be better to put a few deposits down before hand if companies take a long time to tell you if you got the place?
Reply 1
you're still eligible for private halls and it's almost certainly cheaper to rent a hall room than your own studio, and better for your social life usually
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Uzair787
So i'm gonna be starting second year engineering soon and start looking for placements starting in 2024 and was wondering how the whole accommodation situation works.

Firstly, if the placement is in an area where there is a Uni, would I be able allowed to go into student halls as I am still technically a student. Now I get that I wouldn't be allowed in the Universities own halls as I would not be their student, however would I be allowed into private company halls like IQ student?

Secondly, if I did have the option of halls, would you recommend halls or my own separate apartment? The main reason I would opt for halls is loneliness as its not like Uni where you can get a flat together with friends etc, I would only know work colleagues. Yes I could try to find some people who are also doing a placement and find an apartment together but there is no guarantee. That is the benefit of halls, it allows you to meet people and be social.

Lastly, roughly when do you find out if you got a placement or not, because that will tell me when I need to start looking for accommodation. Or would you say it would be better to put a few deposits down before hand if companies take a long time to tell you if you got the place?

Hi there,
As you mentioned, technically being a student does give you options. Its best checking with any university/accommodation provider that they do accept students on placements but many should do (including us!). I would definitely recommend looking at private student accommodations, as you've said, they can be incredibly social and its great to meet new people. In terms of applying for accommodations, I would suggest looking at the cancellation policy of any accommodations you apply for. Some may allow you to be transferred to another accommodation if your placement ends up being elsewhere whilst others may expect you to find a replacement tenant.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending