The Student Room Group

Break after M.Sc. before pursuing a career in academics

Having finished both my undergraduate and graduate studies in Zoology, I find myself lacking the motivation to pursue a Ph.D. Currently, I'm facing uncertainty about potential career paths. I'm contemplating whether to embark on a period of exploration, possibly delving into computer programming, or if this decision might impede any future return to academia. Is it feasible for me to take a hiatus of a few years to gain exposure to different fields?
Original post by Fatima6677
Having finished both my undergraduate and graduate studies in Zoology, I find myself lacking the motivation to pursue a Ph.D. Currently, I'm facing uncertainty about potential career paths. I'm contemplating whether to embark on a period of exploration, possibly delving into computer programming, or if this decision might impede any future return to academia. Is it feasible for me to take a hiatus of a few years to gain exposure to different fields?

Whilst there's no rule to say when you should do your PhD, some universities will only accept you onto the program if you completed you last degree within 7 years (not sure if I remember a few requiring this be 2 years).

As I have yet to apply for a PhD myself, I can't commend on how it would look if you had a significant gap. (Thought I might chime in in case you don't get a response.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending