The Student Room Group

Animation or psych

Hi, I’ve started my first week of studying animation but I’ve had doubts about if it’s the right course for a few months but I couldn’t tell if it’s due to overthinking.
I like the potential opportunity’s an animation degree can open in regards to more creative fields (however rn I don’t want to work within one) and I’ve always enjoyed creating art. However my love for actually drawing has been dwindling fast for the past few years to the point where it’s nearly frustrating everytime I draw and the idea of drawing as a career sounds like it might kill any joy I had for it off. However I’ve enjoyed my first week of courses due to the people in my class and staff being friendly but it’s not changed the worry I have that I’ve made the wrong choice. However this could also be part due to me feeling ashamed for doing a more art based subject instead of an academic one.

Psychology on the other hand is something I find interesting and enjoyed at a-level. I don’t see myself getting a career within this field however especially not as a councillor or therapist which I know limits the actual use of my degree.

I don’t mind sinking time into either of these subjects I’m just worried I’ve made the wrong choice and I’m aware past the first week it will be very difficult for me to swap and catch up on another degrees content.

Idk 🥲 any opinions, I’ve been unable to book a careers appointment to talk to someone about this at uni as they’re only available next week and I go on a four day animation class trip on Monday so 😭 rahhh just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or opinions thank you !
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I’ve started my first week of studying animation but I’ve had doubts about if it’s the right course for a few months but I couldn’t tell if it’s due to overthinking.
I like the potential opportunity’s an animation degree can open in regards to more creative fields (however rn I don’t want to work within one) and I’ve always enjoyed creating art. However my love for actually drawing has been dwindling fast for the past few years to the point where it’s nearly frustrating everytime I draw and the idea of drawing as a career sounds like it might kill any joy I had for it off. However I’ve enjoyed my first week of courses due to the people in my class and staff being friendly but it’s not changed the worry I have that I’ve made the wrong choice. However this could also be part due to me feeling ashamed for doing a more art based subject instead of an academic one.

Psychology on the other hand is something I find interesting and enjoyed at a-level. I don’t see myself getting a career within this field however especially not as a councillor or therapist which I know limits the actual use of my degree.

I don’t mind sinking time into either of these subjects I’m just worried I’ve made the wrong choice and I’m aware past the first week it will be very difficult for me to swap and catch up on another degrees content.

Idk 🥲 any opinions, I’ve been unable to book a careers appointment to talk to someone about this at uni as they’re only available next week and I go on a four day animation class trip on Monday so 😭 rahhh just wanted to see if anyone had any advice or opinions thank you !

Hi,

This is such a tricky situation. I am a final year Psychology student so I can talk about what careers you could do with it and how it is but I am not very creative at all so I can't talk about that part unfortunately!

What lead you to pursue animation over Psychology initially?

Whilst the main careers people use their psychology degree for include therapy, counselling and research there are other careers options that you could consider such as marketing. Studying business Psychology would allow you to use your passion for arts and Psychology. I really enjoy Psychology because I want to pursue a career in research so it is important to think about why you want to study Psychology. Having something to motivate you definitely helps when you are pursuing a degree for 3 years!

If it is a course which you want to switch over to at your university, have a close look at the modules. The first year usually covers topics similar to a-level but in more depth. Do not be disheartened if there are some modules that do not appeal to you, as in all degrees there will be some things you don't like which is completely normal. Second year and final year get a lot more in depth but in your final year you can usually tailor your degree to your future/interests.

The best course of action in my opinion is to speak to a careers advisor at university. As you said you are away on a trip, is there anyway you can communicate with them via Teams or e-mail? Let them know you'd like an appointment as soon as possible but that you have a trip as there may be something they can do. In the meantime I would have a look at Prospects website to see which career options appeal to you and what each career requires.

I hope this helps.

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi,

This is such a tricky situation. I am a final year Psychology student so I can talk about what careers you could do with it and how it is but I am not very creative at all so I can't talk about that part unfortunately!

What lead you to pursue animation over Psychology initially?

Whilst the main careers people use their psychology degree for include therapy, counselling and research there are other careers options that you could consider such as marketing. Studying business Psychology would allow you to use your passion for arts and Psychology. I really enjoy Psychology because I want to pursue a career in research so it is important to think about why you want to study Psychology. Having something to motivate you definitely helps when you are pursuing a degree for 3 years!

If it is a course which you want to switch over to at your university, have a close look at the modules. The first year usually covers topics similar to a-level but in more depth. Do not be disheartened if there are some modules that do not appeal to you, as in all degrees there will be some things you don't like which is completely normal. Second year and final year get a lot more in depth but in your final year you can usually tailor your degree to your future/interests.

The best course of action in my opinion is to speak to a careers advisor at university. As you said you are away on a trip, is there anyway you can communicate with them via Teams or e-mail? Let them know you'd like an appointment as soon as possible but that you have a trip as there may be something they can do. In the meantime I would have a look at Prospects website to see which career options appeal to you and what each career requires.

I hope this helps.

Alia

Thank you sm for the reply! I love the modules of the psych course especially in third year I’m very interested in drug development and the way it effects the brain ect, careers wise I think I’d like to be a college teacher in all honesty. But I wouldn’t mind doing it in art or psychology. I did manage to book a careers appointment for this Friday but unfortunately I will have to decide in that meeting if I stay or leave.

The animation trip has been lots of fun and I love the people in my class which makes it harder, it’s a tuff choice. Animation allows me to meet with people within the media and network basically that’s the pro of this degree haha ^^ ,

Thank you for taking the time out to reply <33
Thank you sm for the reply! I love the modules of the psych course especially in third year I’m very interested in drug development and the way it effects the brain ect, careers wise I think I’d like to be a college teacher in all honesty. But I wouldn’t mind doing it in art or psychology. I did manage to book a careers appointment for this Friday but unfortunately I will have to decide in that meeting if I stay or leave.

The animation trip has been lots of fun and I love the people in my class which makes it harder, it’s a tuff choice. Animation allows me to meet with people within the media and network basically that’s the pro of this degree haha ^^ ,

Anon,

What would you prefer to teach: psychology or art?

It sounds like you are enjoying your animation course. You might just need a bit of a break from drawing all the time or some inspiration. Hopefully the animation trip gave you the chance to enjoy some great artwork without having to think about creating anything.

Studying psychology is different to studying art. So do think about more reading, writing and exams in contrast to a more coursework approach to studying.

Don't study a subject to try and impress people or to be seen as more academic. You are going to have to put in the time on whatever course you decide to do, if you want to do well. You should enjoy your course rather than studying for the approval of others.

Do talk to your tutor and don't feel like you have to rush to make any decision yet!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi,

It is great to hear you have enjoyed your trip. I do hope the meeting you had with careers was helpful last Friday.

If you do change your course you can have friends from people outside the course, I am glad they are lovely people.

Have you been able to speak to anyone else other than the careers advisor? Perhaps some friends on the course that you have made?

Alia

Hey!

I just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling, did you make a decision?

Becky
Original post by University of Bradford
Hey!

I just wanted to check in and see how you were feeling, did you make a decision?

Becky

Hi! Super late reply but I decided to stay on my animation course. I’m still having doubts to this day as my course isn’t very intellectually challenging yet and I’m kinda insecure when my friends talk about there science degrees but I’m gonna give it this year and hope it improves! I plan to do teaching after my three years anyway ^^

Thank you for your advice <3
Original post by Bobthepokemon
Hi! Super late reply but I decided to stay on my animation course. I’m still having doubts to this day as my course isn’t very intellectually challenging yet and I’m kinda insecure when my friends talk about there science degrees but I’m gonna give it this year and hope it improves! I plan to do teaching after my three years anyway ^^

Hey @Bobthepokemon :smile:

I hope you had a lovely break. And fingers crossed things look up for you this year and you start to really enjoy it! Good luck :smile:

Becky
Original post by Bobthepokemon

Hi @Bobthepokemon ,

I have just seen this but I wish you all the best with the animation course.

You can always read articles and books outside of your course if you want to challenge yourself. I hope using TSR helped and you use it in the future with any other things you are questioning or debating.

Alia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending