The Student Room Group

Frustrated living in the UK

I've moved around all over the UK and although it is my home and I miss it (mainly familiarity I miss) when I leave to travel abroad, I constantly feel miserable living here. They're so many things that don't make any sense when you think about it and the everyday is so needlessly depressing. Interactions with most people are so shallow and boring I end up feeling numb most days because it's almost impossible to have a real conversation with someone here. It's either regurgitated political views, xenophobia or some show on TV, streaming etc. It's as if individual thought has left many people...and as someone said online "they're like NPCs" which sadly, I have to agree with.
Anyone else feel like this?
Reply 1
Original post by Audenim
I've moved around all over the UK and although it is my home and I miss it (mainly familiarity I miss) when I leave to travel abroad, I constantly feel miserable living here. They're so many things that don't make any sense when you think about it and the everyday is so needlessly depressing. Interactions with most people are so shallow and boring I end up feeling numb most days because it's almost impossible to have a real conversation with someone here. It's either regurgitated political views, xenophobia or some show on TV, streaming etc. It's as if individual thought has left many people...and as someone said online "they're like NPCs" which sadly, I have to agree with.

Sometimes it’s just nice to get out of the country I get what you mean about how everyone’s quite similar 😂 if you can afford to I’d spend some time maybe a year or 2 in America or Australia both English speaking and are well known to be very individualistic; after spending some time there it will gradually start to feel familiar
Original post by Audenim
. . . "they're like NPCs" . . .Anyone else feel like this?

LOL. Sometimes it feels like this. and yes I think aspects of the UK make no sense to me

I always remind myself, nearly half the people you meet are below average (not a judgement, basic maths). Honestly it feels a lot more

Thoughtful conversation with interesting people is hard to find for sure. I go to conferences and choose my friends carefully
Original post by Audenim

Do you mean small talk or conversations with people you know? I think shallow small talk is common in a lot of places.

Quick Reply

Latest