The Student Room Group

Help with finding research job

I have cleared Year 11 and will be moving to college soon. I see research as a prospective career and wanted a chance to work in a research team even as an intern but I don't know how to become a part or even where to start. Please help...
Original post by SV:0
I have cleared Year 11 and will be moving to college soon. I see research as a prospective career and wanted a chance to work in a research team even as an intern but I don't know how to become a part or even where to start. Please help...

Hi @SV:0,

What kind of research are you wanting to go into?

I study Psychology and I would like to do the same, specifically in child development and imagination during childhood. I have had 3 research assistant roles in the past and I have one now so if it is Psychology research experience you are interested in or any others I can try help. :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Does research roles help getting into uni?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent

What kind of research are you wanting to go into?

I study Psychology and I would like to do the same, specifically in child development and imagination during childhood. I have had 3 research assistant roles in the past and I have one now so if it is Psychology research experience you are interested in or any others I can try help. :smile:

Alia

Hello there,

Thank you so much for that offer but I was hoping something more on the lines of Maths, physics, engineering or even chemistry. I absolutely love Maths and that would be my first preference.
Also just out of curiosity, what does a research assistant do and is there any other way I could to be one?
Hello there,

Thank you so much for that offer but I was hoping something more on the lines of Maths, physics, engineering or even chemistry. I absolutely love Maths and that would be my first preference.
Also just out of curiosity, what does a research assistant do and is there any other way I could to be one?

It's not a very realistic aspiration at the moment. It's like saying you want work experience being a ballet dancer when you can't dance. You might try and get a visit to a research lab - you'd have to pick a subject and write to a university or company that does research. But it's highly unlikely you can actually do any meaningful 'work experience' without an advanced degree.

To be a researcher, you have to pick a subject first. The talent for the subject matter and the exams come first, research opportunities come second.
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
It's not a very realistic aspiration at the moment. It's like saying you want work experience being a ballet dancer when you can't dance. You might try and get a visit to a research lab - you'd have to pick a subject and write to a university or company that does research. But it's highly unlikely you can actually do any meaningful 'work experience' without an advanced degree.

To be a researcher, you have to pick a subject first. The talent for the subject matter and the exams come first, research opportunities come second.

I don't want to be a researcher just yet, I just want to explore it as a career and maybe get some work experience however small it may be, while I am at it. I am not being picky, it just doesn't make sense to be doing a psych research when i don't know much about the subject.

I find that research experience helps build both hard and soft skills that jobs and universities might look for. As I am a student I can't say too much about what universities are looking for in students but I can tell you about the different skills you could learn in a research role. Some hard skills you could learn and show off in your CV is if you learn to use a specific software. For example Rstudio and Nvivo are commonly used in Psychology research. I am not aware of the ones that are used in Maths, physics, engineering or chemistry unfortunately. Having said that, stats is very important in Psychology so it might be something that you want to look into. Some soft skills you can gain from research experience is communication, confidence and team work skills.

Going into a Psychology degree there is not an expectation for you to have a certain amount of knowledge. At Kent, for example, everyone is taught the basics so by the end of first year everyone is on the same level. It then builds as you go into second year. No worries if Psychology is not your thing though. The school of engineering at Kent does conduct world leading research in topics that may interest you. Take a look here if you are looking for some inspiration.

Just a reminder too that it is okay to not know exactly what area of research you want to go into. Keep reading on the topics you are interested in and hopefully you will find something that fascinates you.

Let me know if you have any more questions or if you see anything that inspires you on our website! :smile:

Alia
Hello there,

It is so great to hear that you found a passion for Maths! I will outline below some of my past roles and a bit about what they involved.

First role - I conducted a literature review on a topic for a lecturer for an idea they had/wanted to research. My job was to read what research already existed and what they had found. I read papers and summarised them. After doing this I communicated what I found to her and discussed the research area. I did this role as part of the RES scheme (research experience scheme) we have at Kent. It is a chance for second year students to get involved in research.

Second role - I spent a few weeks transcribing interviews. This one was a bit tedious at times but it is still valuable. I was able to develop a great relationship with my lecturer. I learned a lot about an area that I was not familiar with at all.

Third role - This is one of my favourites so far. For this one I went to an English Heritage site to collect data across all ages. This project was based on imagination. We wanted to see how imagination changed across childhood. I did most of the data collection with a team and other postgraduate students analysed the data.

The ways I found my roles were through my university. It is worth talking to staff at your previous school if you can, family or friends to see if they know anyone. Another idea might be to contact researchers who are doing research in your area of interest at college or in a university closest to you and see if there is any way that you can get involved. If you cannot get experience this way, reading by finding papers on google scholar and using LinkedIn to create connections with like minded people.

Let me know if you have any more questions. :smile:

Alia

Not really, unless it is part of a competition in which case you can put it in your personal statement. However, when you appeal your rejection from a university you can mention that you like their professor's work, if you've worked with a professor from that university.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 9
Original post by University of Kent

It is so great to hear that you found a passion for Maths! I will outline below some of my past roles and a bit about what they involved.

First role - I conducted a literature review on a topic for a lecturer for an idea they had/wanted to research. My job was to read what research already existed and what they had found. I read papers and summarised them. After doing this I communicated what I found to her and discussed the research area. I did this role as part of the RES scheme (research experience scheme) we have at Kent. It is a chance for second year students to get involved in research.

Second role - I spent a few weeks transcribing interviews. This one was a bit tedious at times but it is still valuable. I was able to develop a great relationship with my lecturer. I learned a lot about an area that I was not familiar with at all.

Third role - This is one of my favourites so far. For this one I went to an English Heritage site to collect data across all ages. This project was based on imagination. We wanted to see how imagination changed across childhood. I did most of the data collection with a team and other postgraduate students analysed the data.

The ways I found my roles were through my university. It is worth talking to staff at your previous school if you can, family or friends to see if they know anyone. Another idea might be to contact researchers who are doing research in your area of interest at college or in a university closest to you and see if there is any way that you can get involved. If you cannot get experience this way, reading by finding papers on google scholar and using LinkedIn to create connections with like minded people.

Let me know if you have any more questions. :smile:

Alia

Hello,

Thank you so much for that, I was pretty confused on the kind of role I should take on but this really helped. I will keep these in mind.
Reply 10
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Not really, unless it is part of a competition in which case you can put it in your personal statement. However, when you appeal your rejection from a university you can mention that you like their professor's work, if you've worked with a professor from that university.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

Thank you so much, I will keep that in mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending