The Student Room Group

Transferring University as a first year student

Hi, I just wanted to know when applying to another unversity as a first year uni student will i need to provide references as well as the current modules i will be doing in semester 1 and 2 in order for my grades to be put up? If so how do i add my university to my UCAS application? and who do i ask to make my reference?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
1) Contact any Unis before applying for Year 2 entry - many Unis / subjects dont accept transfers.
2) Yes, they will want a reference from your current Uni - so you can't 'not tell them'.
3) Unis will look at your A level grades and your current grades.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
1) Contact any Unis before applying for Year 2 entry - many Unis / subjects dont accept transfers.
2) Yes, they will want a reference from your current Uni - so you can't 'not tell them'.
3) Unis will look at your A level grades and your current grades.

Thank you! that helps and just to add another question, say if I dont get admission into the university I applied to, will this affect me from staying at my current university?
Reply 3
Original post by zakhan818
Thank you! that helps and just to add another question, say if I dont get admission into the university I applied to, will this affect me from staying at my current university?

They can't exclude you for applying elsewhere, but they would probably want to know why you hadn't wanted to stay there.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
They can't exclude you for applying elsewhere, but they would probably want to know why you hadn't wanted to stay there.

Alright that makes sense! Thank you.
Reply 5
Hi, I just wanted to know when applying to another unversity as a first year uni student will i need to provide references as well as the current modules i will be doing in semester 1 and 2 in order for my grades to be put up? If so how do i add my university to my UCAS application? and who do i ask to make my reference?

hi there, i am in the same situation and completed my ucas application for a transfer in my second year. As far as i am aware you need to provide a reference yourself, either from a teacher or someone you worked for (that is what i did). For modules they wont ask you but ideally research the modules of the uni you want to go to and check they are similar. In regard to grades you can only put your high school and college grades for now which sucks but we don't have any else to give yet. I hope this helps!
Original post by Chey_707
hi there, i am in the same situation and completed my ucas application for a transfer in my second year. As far as i am aware you need to provide a reference yourself, either from a teacher or someone you worked for (that is what i did). For modules they wont ask you but ideally research the modules of the uni you want to go to and check they are similar. In regard to grades you can only put your high school and college grades for now which sucks but we don't have any else to give yet. I hope this helps!

Just a word of warning most universities dont accept transfers and those that do usually require you to have met their entry requirements typically A level grades. It is rare for a university to accept a transfer without these although a small number might.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Just a word of warning most universities dont accept transfers and those that do usually require you to have met their entry requirements typically A level grades. It is rare for a university to accept a transfer without these although a small number might.

i emailed the university beforehand to double check, my a levels meet the grades, modules more or less match so they told me to apply for second year to be considered even though it is rare and i have to keep my grades this year around/above 60%, i am really hoping i am a part of the small number though!!
Reply 8
Original post by Chey_707

Hi, thank you for your help! Also how do u email the university to allow u to apply for second year because I emailed them and they just sent me a website to their university of how to transfer but it dosnt say if I'm eligible to apply for second year or not.
Hi, thank you for your help! Also how do u email the university to allow u to apply for second year because I emailed them and they just sent me a website to their university of how to transfer but it dosnt say if I'm eligible to apply for second year or not.

If they sent you a link then that means that they need you to apply in order to check the compatibility of your modules (the vast majority of universities won’t compare your modules unless you have put in a formal application). You have 5 UCAS choices so use them all.
Reply 10
Original post by PQ
If they sent you a link then that means that they need you to apply in order to check the compatibility of your modules (the vast majority of universities won’t compare your modules unless you have put in a formal application). You have 5 UCAS choices so use them all.

ohhh alright thank you! so will they also look at my university modules along with my high school grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending