The Student Room Group

Is it possible to switch universities after confirming accomodation?

I've been trying to get through to the university I firmed for over a week now to query this and have had absolutely no response, both via email and phone (absolutely ridiculous) so I thought maybe someone on here would be able to advise

I've accepted a firm offer at a university and have also booked my accommodation, however I've changed my mind and have decided I'm going to firm another university instead. I've already spoken to UCAS about this and they've said it's still possible, however I was wondering what would happen in regards to the accommodation I've already booked. I'm planning on making this university my insurance, so would I need to withdraw from my contract? Is that even possible?
Original post by YourKahnum
I've been trying to get through to the university I firmed for over a week now to query this and have had absolutely no response, both via email and phone (absolutely ridiculous) so I thought maybe someone on here would be able to advise

I've accepted a firm offer at a university and have also booked my accommodation, however I've changed my mind and have decided I'm going to firm another university instead. I've already spoken to UCAS about this and they've said it's still possible, however I was wondering what would happen in regards to the accommodation I've already booked. I'm planning on making this university my insurance, so would I need to withdraw from my contract? Is that even possible?

Different universities will have different policies for their own accommodation. If your accommodation is with a private provider then the rules are probably different again.

As already said universities will have different policies so only they can answer it.

However the position is that once youve booked an accommodation contract you are legally bound by it and liable to pay for it for that period. As already said universities in some cases may forego it or only charge the deposit but only they can answer what their policy will be. Often private providers will charge the whole years fees.
Reply 3
As above it depends on the uni
(Assuming this is uni owned accomodation and not private)
However, saying that the offical accomodation contract doesn't normally start until you have got a place and moved in as there are many people who don't get the entry requirements. Also you are more likely to be able to do this if you do it sooner as there will be people on results day that can move into the accommodation so the room hasn't been lost yet
This should be fine but make sure to speak to the uni before doing anything
Read the small print you agreed to when you booked the accommodation.
That should explain cancellation terms and conditions.
Reply 5
I've been trying to get through to the university I firmed for over a week now to query this and have had absolutely no response,

Which Uni, and when was the last time you tried to phone them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending