The Student Room Group

In short, I'm lonely

So I'm a 17yr old doing her A-levels as a private candidate right now, so basically for the first time in my life, I'm being homeschooled. Now this is great, its flexible and I get to control what I want to do, right? Well yes, but with the lovely price of loneliness. I don't work really well in isolation, and to be fair I'm not isolated I suppose, I do have my family but its not like they can always be with me in the house right? They have school, and jobs and other things to do, furthermore I really crave the company of my peers, people around the same age as me, who share similar interests. All my friends are too busy for me to ever see them, I don't blame them, that's how things are, but its kinda disheartening I suppose.
I live in a really small town and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make friends so here I am. Thoughts?
Join a club related to one of your interests (it might have to be a town or two over, or digital)
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm a 17yr old doing her A-levels as a private candidate right now, so basically for the first time in my life, I'm being homeschooled. Now this is great, its flexible and I get to control what I want to do, right? Well yes, but with the lovely price of loneliness. I don't work really well in isolation, and to be fair I'm not isolated I suppose, I do have my family but its not like they can always be with me in the house right? They have school, and jobs and other things to do, furthermore I really crave the company of my peers, people around the same age as me, who share similar interests. All my friends are too busy for me to ever see them, I don't blame them, that's how things are, but its kinda disheartening I suppose.
I live in a really small town and I can't for the life of me figure out how to make friends so here I am. Thoughts?

Definitely, you should look towards activities / events that are going on in local towns. Assuming you live on mainland UK, you're never more than about 1/2 hour travel away from a city or a large town (apart from maybe somewhere like the Highlands). Even if you don't drive, there must be a bus, train or something you can use?

If you want to do a physical activity, look towards places like gyms or leisure centres and see what classes they have. Alternatively, have a think about some of the things that interest you and google the name of the activity and your post code and that should give you some clubs you can have a look at. You've nothing to lose by going to one of these things and seeing what it's like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending