The Student Room Group

Remark or not? Can my A levels disadvantage me from job applications

I have been accepted from a clearing offer from a uni I like a lot and the course as well
However, my resit grades are ok, but I was so close for both Biology and Chemistry to have a higher grade than I have now. Biology is around 10 marks to an A wheras Chemistry is 6 marks away to a B
I worked really hard this time round sp I was gutted I missed out on the grades I have, but very happy that I got the course I have now (honestly by luck because I was surprised it was in clearing in the first place)
Ive been told even if I get a remark, when updated they can still withdraw my place if the remark drops my grades.
I have BCD at the moment and well Im kinda swayed to try and get ABD at least ( I only resitted Bio and Chem because I hated physics so much I was happy with D)

Do you think its worth it? Would my A level grades possibly disadvantage me in the future for job applications? Or it doesnt matter?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by world2change
Bump

What's the degree programme you want to do? Unless you want to go into highly competitive finance, consultancy or legal roles, employers won't care about A level grades.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
What's the degree programme you want to do? Unless you want to go into highly competitive finance, consultancy or legal roles, employers won't care about A level grades.

Oh thats it? My degree is Biochemistry with a year in placement. Honestly wanna go into lab research or industry with pharmaceutical companies

At the moment thats what I want to do but I dont know if I would change my mind in the future, hence I was worried if it would not widen more options for me
Reply 4
But also I had like some ideas of doing a masters in data science or bioinformatics to become a data analyst or biostatician
I have an interest in software engineering as well but not so much as I usually like to code as a hobby but just in case I want to change my mind I like that option open
Reply 5
But also I had like some ideas of doing a masters in data science or bioinformatics to become a data analyst or biostatician
I have an interest in software engineering as well but not so much as I usually like to code as a hobby but just in case I want to change my mind I like that option open

You are a fair way from the boundary. Why not get free acess to copies of your scripts and get your teachers to check? I doubt they will find that many marks in Sciences but at least you will know.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
You are a fair way from the boundary. Why not get free acess to copies of your scripts and get your teachers to check? I doubt they will find that many marks in Sciences but at least you will know.

Yh I did already and my teachers checked. Said it looks possible to gain marks from what they see but kinda advise me to be cautious because there were questions with " benefit of the doubt marks" especially with biology

I kinda got conflicting views from my teachers if science remarks can go up a lot or down a lot

Hence why I was on the fence for this
But all I get from them is because there a "benefit of the doubt marks" in all my papers, its could be a risk to take accounted for as they could bring it down if the examiner rechecks it again.
Not all questions just papers
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Yh I did already and my teachers checked. Said it looks possible to gain marks from what they see but kinda advise me to be cautious because there were questions with " benefit of the doubt marks" especially with biology

I kinda got conflicting views from my teachers if science remarks can go up a lot or down a lot

Hence why I was on the fence for this
But all I get from them is because there a "benefit of the doubt marks" in all my papers, its could be a risk to take accounted for as they could bring it down if the examiner rechecks it again.
Not all questions just papers

I'd leave it then ...
Reply 8
Original post by Muttley79
I'd leave it then ...

Ok thank you. Might as well anyway I'm still very happy it kind of reached to where I wanted to all along despite this

Quick Reply

Latest