The Student Room Group

Taking A level cs early

I am planning to take my computer science a level exam early this year during the October / November series instead of the summer series to free me up for a levels. I am wondering if I get an offer of for example AAA and get B on the computer science exam in November and retake and get A in summer will this still count for my offer or not? Also, what is the harm in taking a level early because I heard that some unis don’t like if the exam isn’t in the same series? Thanks for taking time to read and answer question.
Hi there,

There is some harm in taking A-Levels early, I'm afraid. I found out when I was planning on sitting Spanish in year 12 that many universities will only consider A-Levels taken on the same exam series so they'd still expect you to sit 3 A-Levels during the summer of your last year at school. I suppose it's because they're not only interested in your grades, but also that you're capable of handling 3 full A-Levels at the same time. I wouldn't take it early because it wouldn't count towards your offer in many universities. If you're thinking of taking it early though, you must be relatively certain that you'll do well on it so there's no harm in just waiting to sit that A-Level with your other exams :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest