The Student Room Group

fashion buyer or a fashion marketer,which one is better in the UK fashion industry?

being a fashion buyer or a fashion marketer,which one is better in the UK fashion industry? I know that a buyer can choose garments for their companies and make an impact on the fashion trend. But at the same time, a fashion marketer can employ creativity to promote campaigns. Someone said if I want to do more creative stuff, fashion marketer would be a better choice compared to fashion buyer as a buyer needs to analyse different persepctives and purchase products within company's budget. So, it is not the case of '' I can buy whatever I want''.

But actually, which one will be more creative? I want to present my aesthetics , change the UK fashion trend, host some special events and use my creativity to promote garments.

The last question is that can people with fashion communication degree become a fashion buyer/ merchandiser/trend forecaster? is it possible?
Original post by Ruby12hty
being a fashion buyer or a fashion marketer,which one is better in the UK fashion industry? I know that a buyer can choose garments for their companies and make an impact on the fashion trend. But at the same time, a fashion marketer can employ creativity to promote campaigns. Someone said if I want to do more creative stuff, fashion marketer would be a better choice compared to fashion buyer as a buyer needs to analyse different persepctives and purchase products within company's budget. So, it is not the case of '' I can buy whatever I want''.

But actually, which one will be more creative? I want to present my aesthetics , change the UK fashion trend, host some special events and use my creativity to promote garments.

The last question is that can people with fashion communication degree become a fashion buyer/ merchandiser/trend forecaster? is it possible?

Hi @Ruby12hty

I feel like maybe if you are a little bit unsure it is best to apply for a course that covers quite a few areas within industry and then will provide you with more options career wise, unlike Fashion Buying that may be ore focused on just one aspect. It may be a good idea to check the course content of the courses you are applying for so you can get an idea of what it's covered on and the skills you will gain. For example I currently study Fashion Communication and Promotion at Kingston and I'd say a course like this and Marketing definitely allows you to be both creative and explore the business side of things.

I also think a course like the one at Kingston would align with the things you mentioned you want to explore. For example we look at event planning which is discussed as a potential career from studying the course. Trends and trend forecasting is also explored, I even have a lecture tomorrow in relation to trends and the consumer. And like I mentioned it is a really creative course. I am also happy to answer any more questions you may have about the course and it's contents :smile:

And to answer your final question I think it is definitely possible to become a fashion buyer/ merchandiser/trend forecaster through a fashion communication course. It is great that you have a strong idea about which area of the industry you want to go into and I think you could also apply to internships in that sector to boost your chances of going down that path when you leave university, as well as seeing if you enjoy that side of things and learning the relevant skills.

I really hope this helps! Any more questions feel free to ask :smile:
-Grace (Kingston Reps)
Original post by Ruby12hty

I agree with Kingston Rep's posting. I would go for Fashion Communication if I wasn'r sure which paths to go for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending