The Student Room Group

Sold my car to someone dogy

I sold my car recently but the guy gave me a random motor address and name to put on my logbook for who I sold it to I cant seem to find this place? Will I get into any trouble I have whatsapp message of what he told me to write down and he's paid me through bank transfer.
In what way can't you find the place? the property number or the street/area altogether?

Pretty sure if you go onto the https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle service and update it using the details you were given in good faith, you have fulfilled your obligation to the DVLA, you aren't required to ask a buyer for ID or proof of address.

Did you meet them at any point? Just to hand over key?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
In what way can't you find the place? the property number or the street/area altogether?

Pretty sure if you go onto the https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle service and update it using the details you were given in good faith, you have fulfilled your obligation to the DVLA, you aren't required to ask a buyer for ID or proof of address.

Did you meet them at any point? Just to hand over key?

Yh I met the guy but he never showed me Id or anything because I didn't know if he had to so didn't ask. I got WhatsApp messages of him saying what address and what name to put on the form to me as well as the time he will meet me. He told me when we met put whatever name and address so I got dodgy vibes but didn't think much of it as my cousin told me it should be fine so I WhatsApp him later for an actual address and name and he gave me one but I can't find it anywhere if I write it down anyways on the form on the gov website I'll be ok right I got payment off him through bank transfer
(edited 11 months ago)
Do you mean he said 'Put whatever name and address' as in just make something up? That would be a bit odd.

At the end of the day the buyer and registered keeper don't need to be the same person and you pretty much need to accept the details he gives, as soon as you enter those into the online service you'll get an email back to the effect 'We acknowledge you are not longer the registered keeper of this vehicle'.
Reply 4
Original post by StriderHort
Do you mean he said 'Put whatever name and address' as in just make something up? That would be a bit odd.

At the end of the day the buyer and registered keeper don't need to be the same person and you pretty much need to accept the details he gives, as soon as you enter those into the online service you'll get an email back to the effect 'We acknowledge you are not longer the registered keeper of this vehicle'.

He literally said that to me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending