The Student Room Group

How do absences work at uni?

This sounds so silly but what happens if I need to travel back home for hospital appointments? Should I be informing someone? I am so worried about missing a couple days but I know I can’t move hospitals because I need to be working with my care team I just don’t know what the procedures are at uni for this and I don’t want to get in trouble lol
Original post by Anonymous
This sounds so silly but what happens if I need to travel back home for hospital appointments? Should I be informing someone? I am so worried about missing a couple days but I know I can’t move hospitals because I need to be working with my care team I just don’t know what the procedures are at uni for this and I don’t want to get in trouble lol

Hi!

The university should let you know what their specific absence policy is in an introductory lecture during welcome week. It might be that you log in to your uni account and fill in a form, or at Lancaster, we just have to send an email a week beforehand to explain why we're going to be absent. \Either way, hospital appointments are a very valid reason to miss contact time, and the university should be understanding. Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
A courtesy email to the module tutors of any modules you are taking is good practice.
Plus, let your Personal Tutor know that you will be required to attend medical appointments during the academic year.
Keep copies of all paperwork relating to medical appointments in case medical matters affect you ability to complete/submit assessments .
Depends on the university. I'm at Bath studying economics and they're pretty hands off (there are 400 of us in my year!) so as far as I can tell, as long as we hand in any assignments and turn up for exams, they don't really mind if you're absent
Reply 4

As @cheadle mentioned, talk to your personal tutor.

Also, be aware that for some timetabled activities, cohorts might be split into groups -- i.e. things like seminars, tutorials, lab sessions -- and sometime different groups do these activities on different days. If your hospital appointments will always be on (say) a Tuesday, you might be able to ask to swap seminar groups if yours is timetabled for a Tuesday, but there's also a Wednesday group.

Hiya!

Depending on your uni they may have a different policy. I was never specifically told what to do if I had an absence so I just usually send an email to my lecturer beforehand explaining why I'm not going to be there. Just this year, my university has started taking an online register but I think its more so to cover if someone is absent for a long period of time. They don't mind most of the time if you have appointments and things, as long as you let them know and it's not affecting your studies.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Reply 6
Thank you so much, I’m actually going to SHU and my learning contract accounts for absences due to my conditions etc I just wasn’t sure what the procedure was, so that’s really reassuring.

Thank you!

Original post by hallamstudents
Hiya!

Depending on your uni they may have a different policy. I was never specifically told what to do if I had an absence so I just usually send an email to my lecturer beforehand explaining why I'm not going to be there. Just this year, my university has started taking an online register but I think its more so to cover if someone is absent for a long period of time. They don't mind most of the time if you have appointments and things, as long as you let them know and it's not affecting your studies.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending