The Student Room Group

What would happen if I cancelled a direct debit

Basically I am paying for a service that I never use, I tried to email me to cancel. I sent them two emails but no reply. If I just cancelled my direct debit would I get into trouble?
Original post by Thom10023356546
Basically I am paying for a service that I never use, I tried to email me to cancel. I sent them two emails but no reply. If I just cancelled my direct debit would I get into trouble?

It depends on the contract you have agreed to (minimum time period etc). If you just stop the DD they will still chase you for any unpaid charges and this could add admin costs. It is always better to cancel the contract first but if they are not replying, I would send an email stating that you have tried to cancel but no response and as such will be stopping the DD.
Original post by Thom10023356546

As above, as long as you are not contracted to pay for a set amount of time, then you can cancel the direct debit yourself. You have already made a reasonable effort to inform them of your intentions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending