The Student Room Group

Can't decide if I should go to university

I applied to uni through clearing and got a conditional offer. This week I've started to receive some application emails etc. I just really don't know what I want. This decision has taken over my life for the past 2 months. Its the first thing I think about when I wake up and right before bed. How am I supposed to know if University is what I want. I haven't even applied to finance yet and enrolment week starts on the 15th Sep which is just giving me anxiety. It says in the student contract that I can withdraw from the course 3 weeks in if I change my mind. But I just dont know what to do or how to make this big decision. Id be studying psychology because I enjoyed it at A level but is it worth a large tuition fee and 3/4 years , for something I enjoyed. I really dont know what I want in a career. Please can someone help me make a decision , I've tried pros and cons lists but everything comes out equal.
Reply 1
Original post by kerry.woollands
How am I supposed to know if University is what I want.

Then step back - it will all still be there is a year's time if you do decide Uni is what you do want to do - you do not have to go this year.

Decline you place this year. Plan a gap year. Get a job, earn some cash and do some travel etc.

You have until Jan 31 to put in a 5-choices UCAS application, or you could apply through Clearing from July.

Going to Uni is not a race - you do not have to do it right now if it isnt he right time for you.
Original post by McGinger
Then step back - it will all still be there is a year's time if you do decide Uni is what you do want to do - you do not have to go this year.

Decline you place this year. Plan a gap year. Get a job, earn some cash and do some travel etc.

You have until Jan 31 to put in a 5-choices UCAS application, or you could apply through Clearing from July.

Going to Uni is not a race - you do not have to do it right now if it isnt he right time for you.

Thank you so much , definitely something I needed to hear. I’m stuck on this idea that a gap year just wastes time but I maybe I do just need more time to think it through.
Original post by kerry.woollands
I applied to uni through clearing and got a conditional offer. This week I've started to receive some application emails etc. I just really don't know what I want. This decision has taken over my life for the past 2 months. Its the first thing I think about when I wake up and right before bed. How am I supposed to know if University is what I want. I haven't even applied to finance yet and enrolment week starts on the 15th Sep which is just giving me anxiety. It says in the student contract that I can withdraw from the course 3 weeks in if I change my mind. But I just dont know what to do or how to make this big decision. Id be studying psychology because I enjoyed it at A level but is it worth a large tuition fee and 3/4 years , for something I enjoyed. I really dont know what I want in a career. Please can someone help me make a decision , I've tried pros and cons lists but everything comes out equal.

Looking at your posting history, you've clearly been conflicted about this for some time. Stick to your original plan and take a gap year.
Hi @kerry.woollands

As the other advised, I believe it would be best for you to take a gap year.

During that time you could try some new experiences, apply to internships, jobs, etc., to gain new skills and perhaps change your perspective.

Remember you are still young and there are numerous things out there waiting for you to try them.

Your mental health and wellbeing should be your priority. Not univeristy ;-)

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep
Thank you so much for the advice :smile:
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi @kerry.woollands

As the other advised, I believe it would be best for you to take a gap year.

During that time you could try some new experiences, apply to internships, jobs, etc., to gain new skills and perhaps change your perspective.

Remember you are still young and there are numerous things out there waiting for you to try them.

Your mental health and wellbeing should be your priority. Not univeristy ;-)

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending