The Student Room Group

Reapplying to uni

Hello, I need advice on re applying for uni and getting an extra year of student finance, the issue I’m having is that I did two years of fashion buying course however at the beggining of the second year I had to have an abortion and it just spiralled into a big depressive episode I missed a lot of uni and didn’t hand my work in and I did email tutors about this but at the end I did not do enough to pass, now around a year and a half has gone by and I’d like to return to university but most courses are 3 years meaning I’d need an extra years funding as I hear student finance can only cover 4 years I’m not sure how to go about this I do have papers proving I had the abortion but I struggled asking for help about the depression and anxiety is there any chance of me going back ?
Reply 1
As you stated 4 years is the maximum, but SFE do make exceptions in some circumstances so you could still apply and explain to them your situation.
Original post by Alekola58
Hello, I need advice on re applying for uni and getting an extra year of student finance, the issue I’m having is that I did two years of fashion buying course however at the beggining of the second year I had to have an abortion and it just spiralled into a big depressive episode I missed a lot of uni and didn’t hand my work in and I did email tutors about this but at the end I did not do enough to pass, now around a year and a half has gone by and I’d like to return to university but most courses are 3 years meaning I’d need an extra years funding as I hear student finance can only cover 4 years I’m not sure how to go about this I do have papers proving I had the abortion but I struggled asking for help about the depression and anxiety is there any chance of me going back ?

Student finance entitlement is calculated as follows:

Length of current course + 1 year - number of years of previous study
Eg: 3 + 1 - 2 = 2

However, you could try submitting a compelling personal reasons form for your second year. More info here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending