The Student Room Group

25 and my fingers are swollen and inflamed

Since the young age of around 16, the joints on my fingers would be sore and then my fingers would swell up and become red and stiff. This happened maybe around winter and then kept happening once every year around winter season. It’ll last about maybe few weeks to a month or on a off during the winter period. My index, middle and ring fingers on both had are most affected.

At first I thought the cold was the cause. Then after a few years of it, it stopped and then reappeared and then stopped.

This time, for about 5 days now it’s come back, but this time I’m not convinced it’s the cold as it’s been colder in December and I didn’t get any symptoms.

I believe I don’t have a lot salt although, I wonder if even the recommended amount of salt can still cause water retention and maybe less consuming than the recommended amount is the solution.

If anyone asks, I’ve already had blood tests done done a few times now and one recently last summer and they found nothing wrong.

Wondering if anyone has been going through the same issue and has been prescribed something or diagnosed. Anything would be appreciated :smile:

I’m considering to go private to find the root cause as it it’s uncomfortable to the point I need to unscrew a bottle cap. Plus, my fingers are deforming a little.
Did your blood test check for inflammatory markers / red and white blood cells? My daughters fingers sometimes do this and she was diagnosed with SLE (lupus).
She does not have many other symptoms but does feel worse in the colder months.
Reply 2
Hey, thanks for replying back. It’s a good thing shes been diagnosed so she can hopefully find appropriate remedies. How has she been coping? which other season does your daughter get it? How long has she also had it for?

I can’t remember now what exactly they checked for, but I think it was a range of things, but I’ll ask for a written summary on what I’ve been tested for exactly- I forget some things sometimes.
She was diagnosed about 6 years ago. She gets symptoms of arthritis so, sore and painful joints. Its worse when she is stressed, symptoms are worse. She gets raised patches on her legs and arms sometimes. I don't think they are noticeable but obviously they are noticeable to her. She sometimes experiences symptoms of Sjögren’s and Raynaud's which can sometimes be diagnosed at the same time as Lupus. Check Raynauds against your symptoms by the way as it could be that? All of these are autoimmune diseases. Being auto-immune usually is something which happens in families so, check to see if your Mum/ Dad/ Aunts or siblings have anything similar?
Reply 4
I’ve been told by my spouse that maybe my fingers are swollen because I’m stressed (I have been stressed/thinking/worrying about a job assessment recently). But I’m still not convinced that’s the only reason. I’m not aware about any other family member having the same problem as me, but I can assume the elders have some sort of arthritis? I’ll take in what you’ve mentioned and will look into it more. I’ll try get a summary of what they tested against and/or ask for a further test specifically for autoimmune diseases.
Have you been eating a lot of inflammatory foods? And not so many anti-inflammatory?
Do you know which foods tend to be inflammatory and which anti-inflammatory?
Reply 6
I don’t have too much knowledge about inflammatory foods, but I do know processed foods don’t help and I guess other unhealthy junk food? I don’t really know which foods are anti-inflammatory, but I guess leave greens? And green vegetables?

You’re more than welcome to explain to me :smile:
Generally carbs, processed food and alcohol are to be avoided for an anti-inflammatory diet. I have Hashimotos (autoimmune) and we are supposed to follow and AI diet to feel at our best. I don't, which means I always feel really bad.
Reply 9
Thank you for your help and advice, I will look into this :smile: I am also going to book a blood test to check for inflammatory markers. Will let you know how it all goes.

Just as a note: I didn’t wake up with stiff fingers this morning and they haven’t swollen up (yet).
(edited 1 year ago)
I had the exact same thing and I got diagnosed with Raynauds
Reply 11
Did it take a while for them to find out? What were your symptoms?
Original post by Hay-Lee
Did it take a while for them to find out? What were your symptoms?

they told me it was allergies to pollen first, and gave me antihistamines which didn't work
then I got a hospital appointment and I was diagnosed with Raynauds, the whole process was long

my symptoms were my fingers and toes getting swollen and painful, and when they are cold they go numb and blue
Reply 13
Original post by 29swife
they told me it was allergies to pollen first, and gave me antihistamines which didn't work
then I got a hospital appointment and I was diagnosed with Raynauds, the whole process was long

my symptoms were my fingers and toes getting swollen and painful, and when they are cold they go numb and blu

I've been told by the doctor I have chilblains as the symptoms and triggers sound like it. I guess they could be right. I've been told to take vitamin D tablets during winter months to help my joints, bones and health overall.

Original post by Sleepysophie18
She was diagnosed about 6 years ago. She gets symptoms of arthritis so, sore and painful joints. Its worse when she is stressed, symptoms are worse. She gets raised patches on her legs and arms sometimes. I don't think they are noticeable but obviously they are noticeable to her. She sometimes experiences symptoms of Sjögren’s and Raynaud's which can sometimes be diagnosed at the same time as Lupus. Check Raynauds against your symptoms by the way as it could be that? All of these are autoimmune diseases. Being auto-immune usually is something which happens in families so, check to see if your Mum/ Dad/ Aunts or siblings have anything similar?

I've been tested for lupus, autoimmune issues and everything apparently to do with arthritis. Nobody in my family has what I have.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Hay-Lee
I've been told by the doctor I have chilblains as the symptoms and triggers sound like it. I guess they could be right. I've been told to take vitamin D tablets during winter months to help my joints, bones and health overall.

I've been tested for lupus, autoimmune issues and everything apparently to do with arthritis. Nobody in my family has what I have.

Well at least they have tested you for lots of things to rule them out. Chilblains (in my experience) are usually itchy too? The cause is when you get really cold hands / feet and then try to heat them up too fast (like by putting them on a hot radiator or in front of a heater) without letting them get warm gradually? I used to get them all the time as a child as when I used to get in from school my fingers and toes were so painfully cold and then I would put them in front of the gas fire turned up to full until the feeling came back. This would cause chilblains. The reason my toes and fingers got that cold to begin with though was because I found out later that I had Raynaud's. People without Raynauds also can get chilblains of course!
Reply 15
It’s only itchy at the joints and inside part of the fingers, if the inflammation swells my joints up a bit more than usual. When I use the heater or anything like that I don’t feel like it makes it worse; it does help them feel a bit better. Chilblains might be happening from going hot to cold environment vice versa? Not sure but I’ve just got to wear warm gloves when my hands feel cold to avoid this flare up. I mentioned to the doctor that when I wake up my fingers can become swollen then, they said could be due to body/fingers being inactive.
Hi, I’m just wondering did you ever find out what this was I’m having a similar problem

Quick Reply

Latest