The Student Room Group

Law

What should i start doing for second year law. I know some people say to start applying to internships and getting work experience? What else?
Original post by kh2021
What should i start doing for second year law. I know some people say to start applying to internships and getting work experience? What else?

Hi @kh2021,

Work experience and applying to internships is a really good place to start but it very much depends person-to-person. I would recommend having a look at your CV and trying to identify any gaps that you may have. For example, can you prove that you have real working experience? If not, maybe see if you can do some pro-bono. Or can you demonstrate good critical thinking and advocacy? If not, maybe try and do some mooting or negotiation competitions. At the end of the day, the most valuable thing you can do is to remain focused on your degree so that you can ensure a strong academic grade. Once you have that under control then any additional factors you can do to boost your CV will be a great help to you on a professional and personal level!

I hope this helps :smile:

Sophie
Original post by kh2021

Hi there @kh2021

Other than internships, you can start applying for Vacation Schemes during second year.

Most people have found second year law the most challenging year out of the Law LLB programme, so I would recommend focusing more strongly on studies compared to first year.

It will also be a good time to start thinking about future career options: law or non-law, solicitors or barrister, what area of practice etc. It is totally normal not to know at this point, but starting research early would give you better insights into the field of practice that you may pursue in the future.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep.
Reply 3
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @kh2021,

Work experience and applying to internships is a really good place to start but it very much depends person-to-person. I would recommend having a look at your CV and trying to identify any gaps that you may have. For example, can you prove that you have real working experience? If not, maybe see if you can do some pro-bono. Or can you demonstrate good critical thinking and advocacy? If not, maybe try and do some mooting or negotiation competitions. At the end of the day, the most valuable thing you can do is to remain focused on your degree so that you can ensure a strong academic grade. Once you have that under control then any additional factors you can do to boost your CV will be a great help to you on a professional and personal level!

I hope this helps :smile:

Sophie

Hi Sophie, Thank you that helps
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there @kh2021

Other than internships, you can start applying for Vacation Schemes during second year.

Most people have found second year law the most challenging year out of the Law LLB programme, so I would recommend focusing more strongly on studies compared to first year.

It will also be a good time to start thinking about future career options: law or non-law, solicitors or barrister, what area of practice etc. It is totally normal not to know at this point, but starting research early would give you better insights into the field of practice that you may pursue in the future.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep.

Hi Chloe yes that is also true. thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending