The Student Room Group

I was marked unfairly because the instructions were unclear - UNI

I got my marks back for my first assignment and got 64/100, which is okay...I guess. But my problem is that the marker stated that my document was 'too short' for being 740 words in total when it had to be 1000 words, which, first all, was not explicitly stated in the instructions. On the syllabus, it LITERALLY stated 750 words...and many students even complained before the deadline about the short word count and the Professor EVEN STATED that it was supposed to be 750 words...I just texted my Tutor about it and am now waiting for an answer. I know it isn't my fault, but it's still bugging me.
Reply 1
This is a procedural error and you should now be able to appeal at the School level. Speak to an SU advisor and a relevant administrator about this if you suspect it has hurt your grade.
Original post by Nice_100
I got my marks back for my first assignment and got 64/100, which is okay...I guess. But my problem is that the marker stated that my document was 'too short' for being 740 words in total when it had to be 1000 words, which, first all, was not explicitly stated in the instructions. On the syllabus, it LITERALLY stated 750 words...and many students even complained before the deadline about the short word count and the Professor EVEN STATED that it was supposed to be 750 words...I just texted my Tutor about it and am now waiting for an answer. I know it isn't my fault, but it's still bugging me.

How much % did the assignment count towards your final grade?
64/100 is very good, but it does sting when you know you could've done better :console:

@gjd800 has good advice :smile:
Original post by Nice_100

Hi @Nice_100,

First of all congratulations, 64/100 is a very good score! But I understand it's frustrating being marked down for something like a short word count when you got told it had to be a certain length. Were you the only one which was marked down because you had written 750 not 1000 words?

In my experience at University you can appeal a piece of work if you think it wasn't correctly marked and can then get remarked to see if someone else marks the same piece of work the same, so hopefully its the same rules at your university. It's good that you have contacted your tutor so hopefully they will be able to direct you in the right direction to get this solved and the mark you deserve.

But make sure next time you check the assignment brief to double check the word count just to be 100% sure and this mistake doesn't happen again as sometimes professors can get mixed up and accidentally say the wrong thing.

I hope this helps🙂
Louise - University of Wolverhampton Rep
Reply 4
It is incredibly rare for universities to allow remarks just because you aren't happy with a grade. So sure, check, but odds on it is not allowed because institutions generally place a large emphasis (and so high degree of protection) on academic judgement.

It factually is a procedural mistake, and every institution in the country has safeguards against these.

Object in fact, not in hope.

The way that you frame the appeal can make it or break it.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Chronoscope
How much % did the assignment count towards your final grade?
64/100 is very good, but it does sting when you know you could've done better :console:

@gjd800 has good advice :smile:

It's just worth 10% so I'm not too mad about it. My current one is worth 40% so that's where I'll be focusing most of my energy. I'm not that bothered about it anymore as today progressed because my Tutor got back to me, apologised and is giving me more support for my next assignment and I don't feel angry at them at all so I guess it's all good. It's 1st year anyway so it won't count. Positive thoughts only! Thanks for your reply though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending