The Student Room Group

Going to uni at 41/42

So I'm 41 and thinking about making another attempt at getting a degree. If my wife goes back to work it opens up options for me and I think about it sometimes.

I went to uni at 18 but my mental health was awful - seriously bad - and I quit after a year, then quit a HND. My whole 20s is basically a black hole and I started turning my life around at 27ish, moved back to Wales, met my wife and the rest is history.

My sister just started her nursing degree (her second attempt) and she's 37 but I figured it might be different for like nursing than say a business or marketing degree. Both my aunt's did their degrees online in their 30s.

I guess I am wondering about other people's experiences of going back to uni, going to uni in their 40s, going to uni when you have kids or a job.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
I met a group of older students while studying at Bangor, I was the youngest in my early thirties. The higher the university ranking probably means almost zero mature students in my opinion, true in my experience anyway.
What subjects are you thinking of? If it's entirely knowledge based how about courses from the open university?
Reply 3
I've just started my Masters degree, I'm 44, work full time and we have 2 children. Yes it's hard work, but I'm absolutely loving it. If you get the chance go for it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending