The Student Room Group

how does being abroad work

How does a year abroad work? Like i know the places i could be going but when do we find out? I'm also guessing that the university makes the decision on where to go but do we find out where it is on the actual year or maybe at the start of the course?
I'm pretty sure you make applications for certain institutions so you'll know where you're going..
Original post by Anonymous
How does a year abroad work? Like i know the places i could be going but when do we find out? I'm also guessing that the university makes the decision on where to go but do we find out where it is on the actual year or maybe at the start of the course?

Hi Anon,

I'm currently on a year abroad in the US, so hopefully I can help.

Students typically go abroad in their third year, so the planning starts usually at the beginning of your second year or the summer before. Depending on the organization your university chooses, you will have different options, to it might be beneficial for you to book an appointment with the study abroad team if you need some clarification.

A lot of universities go with ISEP - https://www.isepstudyabroad.org/. In my experience, I could put up to 10 universities on my application, which was sent off in February of my second year. ISEP then place you, based on a bunch of different factors, at one of the universities you chose, which I heard about in April.

It does vary though. I would strongly recommend that you schedule a meeting with the study abroad team at your university, as they can answer all of your questions and be more specific to how it will work for you.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I hope this helps!
Isabella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending