The Student Room Group

Re applying for university after failing a levels and resitting them

Hello,

If I did really bad on my a levels this year, and then decided to take a gap year and re sit my exams next year, would universities take into account that my old a levels are no where near the entry requirements for the course i'm looking into getting in next year?

For example let's say I got DDD, if I apply for a course that requires AAA, would the DDD throw them off and reject me? Even if in theory I could meet the entry requirements?
Reply 1
Original post by nik180m
Hello,

If I did really bad on my a levels this year, and then decided to take a gap year and re sit my exams next year, would universities take into account that my old a levels are no where near the entry requirements for the course i'm looking into getting in next year?

For example let's say I got DDD, if I apply for a course that requires AAA, would the DDD throw them off and reject me? Even if in theory I could meet the entry requirements?

most unis don't care
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nik180m
Hello,

you should be fine - it will depend on your A-level predictions, your personal statement, and your school reference. If they are all good you should get offers, and your current A-level grades should have no bearing on their decision, with the rare exception of some hyper competitive courses/Unis like medicine or LSE.
Reply 3
Original post by lalexm
you should be fine - it will depend on your A-level predictions, your personal statement, and your school reference. If they are all good you should get offers, and your current A-level grades should have no bearing on their decision, with the rare exception of some hyper competitive courses/Unis like medicine or LSE.

Thanks for your reply.

As im not in school anymore, do I still need to go to school to tell my old teachers to fill in my predictions? Or does it not apply to me anymore do you think
Reply 4
Original post by nik180m
Thanks for your reply.

As im not in school anymore, do I still need to go to school to tell my old teachers to fill in my predictions? Or does it not apply to me anymore do you think

I believe you need someone that knows your academic work to submit your UCAS application on your behalf, which will involve providing a reference and predicting your grades. Most schools will allow students to resit a year, so your best bet will be to ask them and to arrange everything through them. If your school will not do this, you can get an alternative person such as a tutor, but they need to know your work, and it can't be a relative.
Original post by nik180m
Hello,

Focus on not doing badly in your A levels!

Reapplying and resitting isn’t an easy option but it’s also quite common and you can get lots of support on TSR if you end up in that situation. But it’s not worth worrying about if you haven’t even sat your exams for the first time yet!
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Focus on not doing badly in your A levels!

Reapplying and resitting isn’t an easy option but it’s also quite common and you can get lots of support on TSR if you end up in that situation. But it’s not worth worrying about if you haven’t even sat your exams for the first time yet!

No i already did the 2023 a levels and didnt do as expected, so im re applying to sit them in 2024. So i was just wondering if my bad grades will affect the decisions of university in terms of accepting me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending