The Student Room Group

Personal statement sob story???

So I'm applying to uni this year and am wanting to study law. I'll start my personal statement with my fascination with law (inequality and injustices etc and how I want to learn more about these) and then am wanting to slip in 1 sentence along the lines of 'the death of a parent opened my eyes up to the multitude of unequal aspects of society that were protected through the security of the law,' and then add in a book that I had read relating to injustice and link it to real life. I don't want it to sound like a sob story and it's most likely just going to be a sentence. Do you think unis will be put off by this or is it a good way to link my fascination with the law?
nah definitely put it in, especially if it’s true! you link it back to ur law thing and include a book so shouldn’t be a problem imo
Original post by Jshzusja
So I'm applying to uni this year and am wanting to study law. I'll start my personal statement with my fascination with law (inequality and injustices etc and how I want to learn more about these) and then am wanting to slip in 1 sentence along the lines of 'the death of a parent opened my eyes up to the multitude of unequal aspects of society that were protected through the security of the law,' and then add in a book that I had read relating to injustice and link it to real life. I don't want it to sound like a sob story and it's most likely just going to be a sentence. Do you think unis will be put off by this or is it a good way to link my fascination with the law?

Hey @Jshzusja Really sorry that's something you went through :redface: I'd agree with the above, if that's something you've gone through and overcome and you can link it to your chosen career path I'd say it's relevant. The way you want to approach it also works well as you're noting it in a concise way so I don't think it reads like a sob story at all.

Wishing you loads of luck with your application!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Reply 3
Hi, this form is still active right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending