The Student Room Group

PhD and Master by research on various universities in UK have declined in quality ?

I was trying to apply for some at Durham, Bristol, Manchester, and UCL-like places for Physics. I am an international student and the application experience is pathetic. Professors and departments are either not replying or replying after months. Several universities misled me about course starting. In Nottingham, I have done everything as per the Department of Physics, but after submission university is fighting with the department about admission timings. Many of them mention applications all year round or several intakes in January, and April but only take students in September.
Reply 1
This doesn't reflect the quality of the programme, only of the administration. Every university I have ever read at or worked for has crap admin with the exception of Oxford, and that's because they still do everything localised in the Colleges.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
This doesn't reflect the quality of the programme, only of the administration. Every university I have ever read at or worked for has crap admin with the exception of Oxford, and that's because they still do everything localised in the Colleges.

Crappy administration also indicates falling quality. Academics, students have to regularly deal with administration, it that's crappy, soon everything is going to blow up. One of the reasons professors were on strike and students paid the price. They were not even replying to research request emails. Explains the falling ranks of UK universities except Oxbridge. My interaction with Cambridge was very fine, the administration quickly solved complex queries.
Original post by manupal19965
Crappy administration also indicates falling quality. Academics, students have to regularly deal with administration, it that's crappy, soon everything is going to blow up. One of the reasons professors were on strike and students paid the price. They were not even replying to research request emails. Explains the falling ranks of UK universities except Oxbridge. My interaction with Cambridge was very fine, the administration quickly solved complex queries.

Lecturers were not striking due to poor admin, and it minimises the reasons they were striking to suggest otherwise.

Also as someone that used to work at Cambridge in a non-academic position I assure you the admin there is barely more sophisticated than a couple of tin cups held together with string :laugh:

Original post by artful_lounger
Lecturers were not striking due to poor admin, and it minimises the reasons they were striking to suggest otherwise.

Also as someone that used to work at Cambridge in a non-academic position I assure you the admin there is barely more sophisticated than a couple of tin cups held together with string :laugh:

Can confirm - if you've had a better administrative service at Cambridge than any other university, you've been very lucky!

And yes, I've worked in the Cam administrative side of things :rolleyes:
Reply 5

I am a lecturer and you are talking utter tosh :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
Can confirm - if you've had a better administrative service at Cambridge than any other university, you've been very lucky!

And yes, I've worked in the Cam administrative side of things :rolleyes:

Oh, maybe I was lucky.
Oh, maybe I was lucky.

Generally with UK unis you need to assume the worst with admin related matters and if you get anything better than that consider it a stroke of luck. It will help you manage your expectations much better!
Reply 8
I was trying to apply for some at Durham, Bristol, Manchester, and UCL-like places for Physics. I am an international student and the application experience is pathetic. Professors and departments are either not replying or replying after months. Several universities misled me about course starting. In Nottingham, I have done everything as per the Department of Physics, but after submission university is fighting with the department about admission timings. Many of them mention applications all year round or several intakes in January, and April but only take students in September.

Daughters applied to Manchester (particle physics). But this was January application for the round of interviews that were being held in feb. A lot i've seen and she has seen has a september/october start date at universities, so I imagine the interviews are grouped together in multiple rounds. I have seen on find a phd that the applications are being taken all year round.
Its a bit of strange one as shes emailed lots of people as a 'get to know me/please remember me when I apply' kind of email, but some have replied and others have not. So it has been a bit hit and miss trying to make a connection before the application, and making sure to reach out to as many people at possible. Shes only just applied to the other 3 unis, so fingers crossed on that one.

I really hope that 4 months on they have made contact and offered you an interview/offer.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending