New Cambridge students October 2005: let's get to know each other!

Watch
White_redrose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
You can have a toaster in your room, but watch it like a HAWK. You DO NOT want to pay the fine for setting off the fire alarm.
Okay, thanks, will do. I have it on the lowest possible setting anyway at home, but I'll be extra careful @ Pem.
Edit: omg, £75?!
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You have to be very careful of the dial getting knocked, someone else using it and changing the dial time etc..

Yes, they can fine you up to £200 for fire alarms. It depends on the negligence involved. For example, being caught frying and setting off the alarm will earn you a bigger fine. You can be fined more for very gross negligence but I don't think that ever happens for just setting off an alarm.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I set the alarm off with relighting candles on my friend's birthday cake. Fortunately they didn't fine us for that act of stupidity
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Candles? Candles? They would rusticate your ass.
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I once set off the fire alarm in St Andrew's Uni due to an excess of party poppers :p:
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by platinumki)
I once set off the fire alarm in St Andrew's Uni due to an excess of party poppers :p:
This one time, at band camp...

Actually that's not an interesting story but, meh...

The fire alarm thought my deodorant was smoke, but due to a delayed reaction, the alarm didn't go off till 3 a.m...i had some explaining to do to the rest of the band...

The fire alarms there apparently recognise spray as smoke, eventually...
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by White_redrose)
Camford or crana9, are you allowed to keep (and use) a toaster in your own rooms at Pembroke, or can they only be used in the gyp room? Just wondering, as apparently (according to the electrical appliances thread anyway) colleges differ.
If you live in the hostels... like I do, then you can set off the fire alarms as many time as you like without getting fined... Alarm count so far for me is 1, for making toast in my room.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don;t think you can just leave them on for ages and hope they don't notice though
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don;t think you can just leave them on for ages and hope they don't notice though
did I say anything about leaving them on for ages? NO! I only commented on the times you can set them off without being fined.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
did I say anything about leaving them on for ages? NO! I only commented on the times you can set them off without being fined.
Congratulations, I think your testicles just dropped
xx_ambellina_xx
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by visesh)
Aww. Bless Camford...he growed up!
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You are a dead veggie when you get here :mad:
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You know what they say... we always hurt the ones we love best most
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You know what they say... we always hurt the ones we love best most
Oh yeah... then I am definitely killing him to show my love for him. Dude, This is how much I love you! Then stabs him half a million times.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
Aww. Bless Camford...he growed up!
I am going to treat "growed" up as a typo...
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
You are a dead veggie when you get here :mad:
Meh, it was a compliment, as you just stood up to Rosie for the first time. I guess you like to be dominated then...
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Meh, it was a compliment, as you just stood up to Rosie for the first time. I guess you like to be dominated then...
I just can't be bothered to argue with her... can't be bothered and there's no point arguing about useless things.
killermonkeys
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm leavin on a jetplane... Virgin Atlantic! Cambs here I come! And thank god the fx rate is going down heheheh. Now what am I forgetting?
Papa Egg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sam, Philosophy Corpus Christi

Howdy do, I thought i would add my name to this long list of lovely people. I am coming to learn how to be philomesophical and am hugely looking forwards to it Although i have no claim to flame with any pyromaniacal practices in hotels, i do have an embarrasing childhood tale...

When i was little i was a perculiar child, and i used to get really cold at night (I have bad circulation due to a heart disease). What i used to do was in the morning, leave my pyjamas in the sun, then at night they would be toasty hot...As my scientific prowess grew i moved from the sunlight to the radiator, and sure enough the pyjamas moved from a toasty warm, to a crackling heat. Then one day i had the brilliant idea to leave my nylon pyjamas on a lamp in my room, removing the shade to do so...about four minutes into my breakfast there was a massive CRACK! and i ran into my room to find the lightbulb burst, and my pyjamas quietly flaming... So ten years later I'm heading to Cambridge...WHOOO!
French Pikachu
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hello and welcome to TSR

BTw everyone i found the link for lectures schedrule and it's nasty :eek: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2005-06/special/01/
I can't believe i have 9AMs every single day! I chose Land Economy not medicine or natsci! :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (181)
33.39%
Receiving them online / by email (270)
49.82%
I still don't know (91)
16.79%

Watched Threads