The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

crana9
You can have a toaster in your room, but watch it like a HAWK. You DO NOT want to pay the fine for setting off the fire alarm.

Okay, thanks, will do. I have it on the lowest possible setting anyway at home, but I'll be extra careful @ Pem.
Edit: omg, £75?!
Reply 3741
You have to be very careful of the dial getting knocked, someone else using it and changing the dial time etc..

Yes, they can fine you up to £200 for fire alarms. It depends on the negligence involved. For example, being caught frying and setting off the alarm will earn you a bigger fine. You can be fined more for very gross negligence but I don't think that ever happens for just setting off an alarm.
I set the alarm off with relighting candles on my friend's birthday cake. Fortunately they didn't fine us for that act of stupidity :redface:
Reply 3743
Candles? Candles? They would rusticate your ass.
I once set off the fire alarm in St Andrew's Uni due to an excess of party poppers :p:
platinumki
I once set off the fire alarm in St Andrew's Uni due to an excess of party poppers :p:

This one time, at band camp...

Actually that's not an interesting story but, meh...

The fire alarm thought my deodorant was smoke, but due to a delayed reaction, the alarm didn't go off till 3 a.m...i had some explaining to do to the rest of the band...

The fire alarms there apparently recognise spray as smoke, eventually...
White_redrose
Camford or crana9, are you allowed to keep (and use) a toaster in your own rooms at Pembroke, or can they only be used in the gyp room? Just wondering, as apparently (according to the electrical appliances thread anyway) colleges differ.

If you live in the hostels... like I do, then you can set off the fire alarms as many time as you like without getting fined... Alarm count so far for me is 1, for making toast in my room.
Reply 3747
I don;t think you can just leave them on for ages and hope they don't notice though
crana9
I don;t think you can just leave them on for ages and hope they don't notice though

did I say anything about leaving them on for ages? NO! I only commented on the times you can set them off without being fined.
Reply 3749
Camford
did I say anything about leaving them on for ages? NO! I only commented on the times you can set them off without being fined.

Congratulations, I think your testicles just dropped:wink:
visesh

Aww. Bless Camford...he growed up!
visesh

You are a dead veggie when you get here :mad:
Reply 3752
You know what they say... we always hurt the ones we love best most
crana9
You know what they say... we always hurt the ones we love best most

Oh yeah... then I am definitely killing him to show my love for him. Dude, This is how much I love you! Then stabs him half a million times.
xx_ambellina_xx
Aww. Bless Camford...he growed up!

I am going to treat "growed" up as a typo...
Reply 3755
Camford
You are a dead veggie when you get here :mad:

Meh, it was a compliment, as you just stood up to Rosie for the first time. I guess you like to be dominated then...
visesh
Meh, it was a compliment, as you just stood up to Rosie for the first time. I guess you like to be dominated then...

I just can't be bothered to argue with her... can't be bothered and there's no point arguing about useless things.
I'm leavin on a jetplane... Virgin Atlantic! Cambs here I come! And thank god the fx rate is going down heheheh. Now what am I forgetting?
Reply 3758
Sam, Philosophy Corpus Christi

Howdy do, I thought i would add my name to this long list of lovely people. I am coming to learn how to be philomesophical and am hugely looking forwards to it :smile: Although i have no claim to flame with any pyromaniacal practices in hotels, i do have an embarrasing childhood tale...

When i was little i was a perculiar child, and i used to get really cold at night (I have bad circulation due to a heart disease). What i used to do was in the morning, leave my pyjamas in the sun, then at night they would be toasty hot...As my scientific prowess grew i moved from the sunlight to the radiator, and sure enough the pyjamas moved from a toasty warm, to a crackling heat. Then one day i had the brilliant idea to leave my nylon pyjamas on a lamp in my room, removing the shade to do so...about four minutes into my breakfast there was a massive CRACK! and i ran into my room to find the lightbulb burst, and my pyjamas quietly flaming... So ten years later I'm heading to Cambridge...WHOOO!
Hello and welcome to TSR :smile:

BTw everyone i found the link for lectures schedrule and it's nasty :eek: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/reporter/2005-06/special/01/
I can't believe i have 9AMs every single day! I chose Land Economy not medicine or natsci! :eek:

Latest

Trending

Trending