Reply 1260
Richy Rich$$
What's a set?

Before a mathmo does this...:p:
an abstract collection of numbers or symbols
Reply 1261
Richy Rich$$
What's a set?

You get two rooms - a bedroom and living room. - Living in style!!! It would make a great change from my relatively small room at home :biggrin:
boomerang
Me neither :wink: Hurray for us.

Me neither! lol i tried the flute for a year and it was a total disaster i think im simply Not a musician :biggrin:
Reply 1263
French Pikachu
Me neither! lol i tried the flute for a year and it was a total disaster i think im simply Not a musician :biggrin:

I'll teach you :wink:
oh yeah and i talked to a Downing student who told me i wont receive any accomodation paper until they get my results and all A levels get their results :eek: so long coz i get my results 7th of july but A levels its later , right?
PhilipGarsed
I'll teach you :wink:

U're really optimistic! lol a more appropriate sentence would have been "I'll attempt to teach you" coz really i sux at music, i think i dont have the ear for it (valid expression in english?)
visesh
Before a mathmo does this...:p:
an abstract collection of numbers or symbols

No you dope! Set is a collection class in Java! Map is also a collection class... and Vector. :p:
PhilipGarsed
Hmmm... I did Grade 8 about 2 years ago, but 'only' got a merit thanks to poor choice of pieces and a small matter of far to many AS levels at the same time!

why? what did you play?

I did mine during my Highers, so as far as I am concerned, I did 6 (as the ABRSM qualification is actually worth more than my As at Higher. :confused: )

PhilipGarsed
You get two rooms - a bedroom and living room. - Living in style!!! It would make a great change from my relatively small room at home

Everybody round to Philip's!!! :biggrin:
Helenia
I played the cello, but I haven't touched it for over a year now, so I think it's fair to say I don't any more :frown: It's a shame, but I just don't have time, and I'm not good enough to get in any of the decent orchestras (I was grade 7-8 standard but hadn't taken Grade 8).

Sounds pretty much like me there. Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to drag down my Cello? I do really enjoy just playing Bach etc. by myself, and would miss it, but at the same time it really is quite a large thing to take. Hmmm.
magicalsausage
Sounds pretty much like me there. Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to drag down my Cello? I do really enjoy just playing Bach etc. by myself, and would miss it, but at the same time it really is quite a large thing to take. Hmmm.

you should bring it - we are meant to play for fun, remember?

surely there will be less-incredible ensembles as well for lesser mortals?
I really want to learn cello... relly relly want to learn. But the violin was a disaster so i'm holding back.

A set or not a set? any more thoughts on this, should you wait till the third year and try for one... or try for one in the first (don't think there are any in second at Jesus).
The 'cello is slightly easier than the violin and its sounds nicer when you are just starting compared with the violin, which is frankly just painful. You never know you might the opportunity to learn.

Just looked at the clare website and the sets there look really nice and spacioua, so i figure if you can afford why not? But they are £800+ a term
Reply 1272
I'd rather go for the cheapest room I can without feeling upset about it in the first year....it's far more enjoyable to have loads of money left over to spend out and about! And you also find that you seriously underestimate how much money you will spend from day to day!
What much money do you get from your student loan per term?
Willa
I'd rather go for the cheapest room I can without feeling upset about it in the first year....it's far more enjoyable to have loads of money left over to spend out and about! And you also find that you seriously underestimate how much money you will spend from day to day!

if it's not too personal, what sort of figure are we talking about? :eek:
Reply 1275
Hmmmm....It's hard to say...let me give you a rough figure.

I am currently about 400 quid in debt on my student account (interest free thank god), which started with 1000 quid in it when i went to cambridge. I have had 2000 in student loans. So that means I've spent 3500 (I added an extra 100 cos of various little expenses not via my student account).
So far that has paid for everything in the first 2 terms except my accomodation in the second term. My accomodation is 600 quid a term atm, so if you take that off the 3500 you get 2900. Split that between the 20 weeks or so I've been at uni and **** me I'm spending £145 a week....WHAT THE HELL!?

OK I guess that's an upper limit on my spending, I'd say it was a lot less than that...i've had to spend quite large amounts on rowing and korfball etc etc, so it easily all disappears :frown:
I'm hoping to do everything - fees, accommodation, food etc - on £4500 a year. Realistic?
Reply 1277
platinumki
I'm hoping to do everything - fees, accommodation, food etc - on £4500 a year. Realistic?

fees: £1250
accom ~ £1800

4500-3250= £1250 for everything else

That leaves just over £52 a week over 3 terms (your 1st term expenses will be quite high with stationary/books/gowns etc)
I was planning on having a one-off fund of my own providing for 1st term one-offs. And I was hoping to spend less than that on accommodation!!! I asked for a cheap room!!!!
Reply 1279
platinumki
I was planning on having a one-off fund of my own providing for 1st term one-offs. And I was hoping to spend less than that on accommodation!!! I asked for a cheap room!!!!

How cheap is a cheap room? I don't think I get a choice for my first year:frown: King's just said that they will "tell" me where I am going to stay sometime in August!

Latest

Trending

Trending