The Student Room Group

claiming JSA and working part time? Help?

At the moment I’m on JSA (sadly), however I’ve just found a part time job that is 12 hours per week. Am I able to claim whilst also working these hours?

I’ve heard that I can’t be earning more than £125 a week, which my earnings would be just over that, so I’m assuming I can’t tbh.

I wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation?
I was going to just completely close my claim, but a friend said I may be able to still receive a small JSA payment along side my part time wages.

Thanks for any info!
As general advice, I'd look to get your claim moved from JSA to Universal Credit which is more flexible about part time work and earnings - for part time you basically get to keep half of what you earn (I think its actually 45p in the £) SO you would essentially still get your full Universal Credit award, plus an extra £60 each week, it also allows you to keep your council tax reduction and access to benefits tied services like budgeting loans, back to work payments etc.

EDIT I should add this depends how much your benefits entitlement already is, as if your earnings are greater than the benefits I think that is where the cut off is. Someone on the basic rate of JSA/UC might be getting about 350 a month but someone also claiming housing payments will obv be getting more than double likely
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
As general advice, I'd look to get your claim moved from JSA to Universal Credit which is more flexible about part time work and earnings - for part time you basically get to keep half of what you earn (I think its actually 45p in the £) SO you would essentially still get your full Universal Credit award, plus an extra £60 each week, it also allows you to keep your council tax reduction and access to benefits tied services like budgeting loans, back to work payments etc.

EDIT I should add this depends how much your benefits entitlement already is, as if your earnings are greater than the benefits I think that is where the cut off is. Someone on the basic rate of JSA/UC might be getting about 350 a month but someone also claiming housing payments will obv be getting more than double likely

Yes I’ve heard that UC may be better for part time work, I think in that case I may just ask to come off JSA when I inform them of my employment today, as I get £84.80 a week on JSA but my weekly wage will be £125 a week with this new job, so I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t get much anyways. I will ask them for advice though when I phone the DWP today, because they may suggest UC as I can only actually be on JSA until January anyways.
Original post by Musicgirl97
At the moment I’m on JSA (sadly), however I’ve just found a part time job that is 12 hours per week. Am I able to claim whilst also working these hours?

I’ve heard that I can’t be earning more than £125 a week, which my earnings would be just over that, so I’m assuming I can’t tbh.

I wondered if anyone had been in a similar situation?
I was going to just completely close my claim, but a friend said I may be able to still receive a small JSA payment along side my part time wages.

Thanks for any info!

In the UK, you can usually claim Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA) while working part-time, but there is a limit to how much you can earn. You're correct that the earnings limit is typically £125 per week. If your earnings exceed this limit, you may not be eligible for JSA while working part-time. It's always a good idea to check with your local Jobcentre or relevant government agency for the most up-to-date information and guidance based on your specific circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending