The Student Room Group

Job seekers allowance and leaving uni

I have recently submitted my dissertation, the last assignment of my postgrad, and my deadline for it has passed. I am having trouble finding a job now, so wanted to apply for JSA (job seekers allowance). But am I still classed as a student until I get my final assignment result? I dont know when I would officially no longer be classed as a student and eligible for the allowance.
You’re only eligible for JSA if you’ve worked as an employee and have paid National Insurance contributions in the last 2-3 years.

If you haven’t worked and thus paid NI in the last few years, you will need to apply for Universal Credit instead.
Reply 2
Original post by LeapingLucy
You’re only eligible for JSA if you’ve worked as an employee and have paid National Insurance contributions in the last 2-3 years.

If you haven’t worked and thus paid NI in the last few years, you will need to apply for Universal Credit instead.

I worked part time whilst doing my post grad and believe I made NI contributions, would I be eligible?
I would contact your local citizens advice - they will be able to help you figure out what you are eligible for, be that new style JSA or UC:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/help-if-on-a-low-income/jobseekers-allowance-jsa/before-you-claim-jsa/check-if-you-can-get-jsa/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending