The Student Room Group

Tips for hospital work experience??

FINALLY after months of begging through email i landed a hospital placement in the radiography department. I’m super nervous and I’ve never done anything like it before and i’m not sure what to do !! I want to ask questions but i feel like i’ll annoy the doctor. Also, does bare below the elbow literally mean you cant wear long sleeves?? I’m muslim so i cant really wear short sleeved shirts but would it be fine if i just rolled them up when i needed to??

Should i bring a notepad with me? Should i do research?? Help!! Im so nervous !!
Reply 1
Original post by chemicalmira201
FINALLY after months of begging through email i landed a hospital placement in the radiography department. I’m super nervous and I’ve never done anything like it before and i’m not sure what to do !! I want to ask questions but i feel like i’ll annoy the doctor. Also, does bare below the elbow literally mean you cant wear long sleeves?? I’m muslim so i cant really wear short sleeved shirts but would it be fine if i just rolled them up when i needed to??

Should i bring a notepad with me? Should i do research?? Help!! Im so nervous !!

Don't be nervous, relax to gain confidence.
Original post by chemicalmira201

Congrats on acquiring a work experience placement, they’re not easy to come by! Yes, wear something long-sleeved under your scrubs and roll it up when required. Be tactful as to when you’re asking questions, but definitely don’t be afraid to ask! I’m a medical student so know what it feels like to be an extra part so to speak, but the staff are generally very friendly. Are you shadowing a particular person or just stationed in the department? I would bring an A6 notebook to fit in the scrubs pocket. It might be helpful to learn a bit about radiography as a specialty and some of the medical jargon in advance so as to make the most of your time there. I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your advice!! Yes I am shadowing a particular doctor, thats partly why i was so nervous, because it’s not in a group setting so it’ll be just me and her. Congrats on med school!!!
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Congrats on acquiring a work experience placement, they’re not easy to come by! Yes, wear something long-sleeved under your scrubs and roll it up when required. Be tactful as to when you’re asking questions, but definitely don’t be afraid to ask! I’m a medical student so know what it feels like to be an extra part so to speak, but the staff are generally very friendly. Are you shadowing a particular person or just stationed in the department? I would bring an A6 notebook to fit in the scrubs pocket. It might be helpful to learn a bit about radiography as a specialty and some of the medical jargon in advance so as to make the most of your time there. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending