The Student Room Group

How to write a reference for a mature student?

I have been asked to write a reference for someone I worked with a few years ago. I have limited knowledge of the person's academic ability but I agreed to help them out. I have not written a reference for a mature student applicant before.

How many words should reference be in total? Is there some kind of very basic template that I could follow? Do you have any suggestions for how to structure the reference?
I would begin by looking at the information on the UCAS website UCAS University Application References
And this UCAS webpage for mature student references Mature Students References - Who To Choose & How To Complete It (ucas.com)
Reply 3
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
And this UCAS webpage for mature student references Mature Students References - Who To Choose & How To Complete It (ucas.com)

Hi,

Thanks for the links. I have read them. It appears they have changed the system for 2024 and now the reference part is divided into 3 different sections. It’s not a traditional kind of reference anymore.There is a 4,000-character limit.

I was thinking of submitting a brief reference in the following form. Do you think something like this would be acceptable or should I try to include significantly more details? It is only around 1,200-1,500 characters.

"To whom it may concern,

Personal introduction. Brief description of company and location.

When the individual worked for the company and what their role was.

Personal qualities of the candidate (2/3 sentences).

Reasons/interest/aptitude for the candidate wanting to complete this programme/study (2/3 sentences).

Sign off,
Name"
Original post by kevssmith
Hi,

Thanks for the links. I have read them. It appears they have changed the system for 2024 and now the reference part is divided into 3 different sections. It’s not a traditional kind of reference anymore.There is a 4,000-character limit.

I was thinking of submitting a brief reference in the following form. Do you think something like this would be acceptable or should I try to include significantly more details? It is only around 1,200-1,500 characters.

"To whom it may concern,

Personal introduction. Brief description of company and location.

When the individual worked for the company and what their role was.

Personal qualities of the candidate (2/3 sentences).

Reasons/interest/aptitude for the candidate wanting to complete this programme/study (2/3 sentences).

Sign off,
Name"

Yes, I think that sounds about right.
Reply 5
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
Yes, I think that sounds about right.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending