The Student Room Group

overthinking my essay's

hello all, I'm currently at university studying mental health nursing. so far it's been good. I have two assignments one a 1,500-word essay and another a 2,000-word essay both due on the 16th of november. I have a slight plan for both, but I've been overthinking a lot about my grade, what if I fail, what if my friends pass and I don't? I know I can do it, I just fear it'll fall apart.if anyone's been in this position before it would be nice to hear your thoughts
Original post by mylifeasci
hello all, I'm currently at university studying mental health nursing. so far it's been good. I have two assignments one a 1,500-word essay and another a 2,000-word essay both due on the 16th of november. I have a slight plan for both, but I've been overthinking a lot about my grade, what if I fail, what if my friends pass and I don't? I know I can do it, I just fear it'll fall apart.if anyone's been in this position before it would be nice to hear your thoughts

Hi there :smile:

I know that University grades can be quite intimidating. It is good you already have a plan for both, it is a good start. What I find normally helps is having a deadline in mind for when to complete each stage of the essay: researching/ planning/ drafting/ proof reading. Take your time to complete each of these and try not to compare with your peers. This is early stages of University, and there is always room for improvement in the future.

Do your best to stay focus and try to complete these assignments promptly. As long as you put effort into it, I am sure the results will be fine. University is also a learning curve. At the start of year, I often found my essay marks to be lower, however, this did improve over time. So please do not over worry yourself, remind yourself of why you chose this course and keep going.

I hope this helps, and all the best! :smile:
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi there!

It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed, and doubt the quality of your work at uni. However it is important to not let the doubt to overcome you. You can always talk to your tutors or your academic advisor if you are having issues understanding the topic or just to get a better idea on what you're writing about.
It is also important to be very conscious of the marking scheme. Analyse your work and see if it checks the box for what the marking scheme is assessing. Alai be aware of your referencing and that you are paraphrasing appropriately to avoid plagiarism.
Lastly, remember that writing essays at uni is worlds apart from writing at high school level. It takes time for you to get a good grasp on the best way to answer essay questions and it us something you get better at from practice and feedback.
Make sure you give yourself grace and understand you're still learning.

Lancaster University Student Ambassador
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there!

It is completely normal to feel overwhelmed, and doubt the quality of your work at uni. However it is important to not let the doubt to overcome you. You can always talk to your tutors or your academic advisor if you are having issues understanding the topic or just to get a better idea on what you're writing about.
It is also important to be very conscious of the marking scheme. Analyse your work and see if it checks the box for what the marking scheme is assessing. Alai be aware of your referencing and that you are paraphrasing appropriately to avoid plagiarism.
Lastly, remember that writing essays at uni is worlds apart from writing at high school level. It takes time for you to get a good grasp on the best way to answer essay questions and it us something you get better at from practice and feedback.
Make sure you give yourself grace and understand you're still learning.

Love,
Lancaster University student ambassador

thank you for the advice, I will keep this in mind. although I'm a month in, it's already been overwhelming.
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there :smile:

I know that University grades can be quite intimidating. It is good you already have a plan for both, it is a good start. What I find normally helps is having a deadline in mind for when to complete each stage of the essay: researching/ planning/ drafting/ proof reading. Take your time to complete each of these and try not to compare with your peers. This is early stages of University, and there is always room for improvement in the future.

Do your best to stay focus and try to complete these assignments promptly. As long as you put effort into it, I am sure the results will be fine. University is also a learning curve. At the start of year, I often found my essay marks to be lower, however, this did improve over time. So please do not over worry yourself, remind yourself of why you chose this course and keep going.

I hope this helps, and all the best! :smile:
Chloe

thanks very much, I will take it step by step and hopefully get it done in time. it's hard to not compare.
Hello,

It's completely normal to feel overwhelmed and stressed about assignments, especially when they carry significant weight in your course. Remember that many students have experienced similar anxieties, and it's okay to feel this way.

Here are a few strategies to manage your worries:

Break Tasks into Smaller Steps: Divide your assignments into smaller, manageable tasks. Focus on completing one section at a time.

Stay Organized: Use planners or digital tools to keep track of your progress. Set specific goals for each study session.

Reach Out for Support: Talk to your classmates, friends, or professors about your concerns. Sometimes, sharing your worries can alleviate the pressure.

Practice Self-Care: Ensure you're getting enough sleep, exercise, and relaxation. Taking care of your well-being can improve your focus and productivity.

Positive Self-Talk: Challenge negative thoughts with positive affirmations. Believe in your abilities and focus on your strengths.

Learn from Failure: Remember that setbacks are a part of the learning process. Even if things don't go perfectly, it's an opportunity to learn and grow.

Seek Help if Needed: If your anxiety significantly affects your well-being, consider talking to a counselor or therapist. Universities often provide mental health services for students.

You've got this! Believe in your capabilities, stay focused, and don't hesitate to ask for help when needed. You've made it this far, and you can overcome these challenges too. Good luck!

Fatima
LSBU Rep

Reply 6

Hello, I've been a medical student and I personally understand what you're going through. What's for sure is that with practice, everything becomes our second nature. We've all been there! The fact that you made it to nursing school convinces me that you're as good as your peers, or even better!! TAKE THE BOLD STEP! It'll all be good. Incase you need any guidance on how to structure a good essay I can help. Otherwise, I believe in you, I trust you can do it! BYE

@mylifeasci

Try not to get caught up in what ifs you don't know what will happen.

Also, all your what ifs are negative, so of course you are going to feel anxious.

For now, instead of thinking about what could happen, you need to focus on writing those essays!

Try to balance your time between the two essays, so that you don't give room to your fears.

Things have been going well so far, so hopefully they will continue to go well, but if not, you have a chance to grow your resilience.

Think positively!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi @mylifeasci :h:

Firstly I think you should be a little kinder to yourself! You're studying a subject that is going to really help people and that is something to be so immensely proud of. It's easy to overthink and put a lot of pressure on ourselves when it comes to doing well in assessments, but just know you can only ever do your best! If you weren't capable you wouldn't be on the course, so take a deep breath, trust the process and believe in yourself! It's so much easier said than done but you can do it! Good luck!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

I've been in the overthinking situation as well.
With my first assignment, I was stressing every day about it, comparing notes with my friends and wondering why they aren't having any of the same ideas as me, etc.
My advice is to stay calm (although it may not seem easy to do so), and use your time wisely. I'm in second year currently and wish someone told me that sooner haha. Failing isn't the end of the world, although it may seem like it, we all make mistakes and while it will make us feel down and might make us feel bad about ourselves, we just have to pick ourselves up and keep going. You are not a reflection of your grade and your worth is so much more than a number on an essay. If you do fail, at my university we can have tutorial sessions with a lecturer to help us understand the content better, and then we get a resubmission. I've seen situations where some of us pass and others fail within my friend group, remember your peers are there to support you with any struggles as well as be a friendly face! Tell your tutors about your worries and ask for advise, you could even visit student wellbeing and tell them how you are feeling. Talk to anyone you can about the assignment, tell them about the parts you are struggling with and remember there is always another chance!
Hope this helps x
thanks very much, I will take it step by step and hopefully get it done in time. it's hard to not compare.

Hi @mylifeasci,

It is understandably very hard not to compare! If it is possible you could try set a boundary with friends asking them not to discuss grades with you or around you?

I agree with my friend Chloe, taking it step by step and breaking down the essay process into small steps that you feel good with helps a lot.

Something I would add on to this is do you have lecturer office hours available to you? or an academic advisor? Sometimes you can go to them to discuss the essay or your approach to the essay. Usually no one uses lecturer office hours. You might also be able to contact them via e-mail to arrange another time to meet with them.

Alternatively, going through and getting friends to read your essays/hear about your structure or plans for it can help reassure you.

All the best! :smile:

Alia
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I've been in the overthinking situation as well.
With my first assignment, I was stressing every day about it, comparing notes with my friends and wondering why they aren't having any of the same ideas as me, etc.
My advice is to stay calm (although it may not seem easy to do so), and use your time wisely. I'm in second year currently and wish someone told me that sooner haha. Failing isn't the end of the world, although it may seem like it, we all make mistakes and while it will make us feel down and might make us feel bad about ourselves, we just have to pick ourselves up and keep going. You are not a reflection of your grade and your worth is so much more than a number on an essay. If you do fail, at my university we can have tutorial sessions with a lecturer to help us understand the content better, and then we get a resubmission. I've seen situations where some of us pass and others fail within my friend group, remember your peers are there to support you with any struggles as well as be a friendly face! Tell your tutors about your worries and ask for advise, you could even visit student wellbeing and tell them how you are feeling. Talk to anyone you can about the assignment, tell them about the parts you are struggling with and remember there is always another chance!
Hope this helps x

thank you so much for the advice, honestly its hard. I realized in one of my essays that I was doing everything wrong and now I feel like I need to start over. it's all stressing me out when one of my other friends is nearly finished.

Hi,

I completely understand where you are coming from as university grades can be so daunting and nerve-wracking but I think you are doing all the right things by having a plan for the essays.

What I'd recommend is making a detailed plan that explains everything you want to talk about in your essays and also a clear deadline (set by you) as to when it has to be completed by. By giving yourself these deadlines you'll hopefully motivate yourself to work at a good and steady pace without overwhelming yourself or leaving everything to the last minute.

Another tip I would give is not to overthink your grade too much. The fear of failure is natural when submitting assignments in university as we as students put so much pressure on ourselves to do well in every aspect of our course but if you work hard and diligently and answer all the questions that need to be answered in the assignment, then you should do well. Also, try not to compare yourself to others all the time. I know that is far easier said than done as I myself tend to compare myself to my friends and peers but just remember that you are your own individual and everyone has their own circumstances going on in the background so as long as you can wholeheartedly say 'I did my best' then there's nothing more that you can do.

I hope this helps and I really hope you can find some inner confidence and self-belief!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Reply 13
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

I completely understand where you are coming from as university grades can be so daunting and nerve-wracking but I think you are doing all the right things by having a plan for the essays.

What I'd recommend is making a detailed plan that explains everything you want to talk about in your essays and also a clear deadline (set by you) as to when it has to be completed by. By giving yourself these deadlines you'll hopefully motivate yourself to work at a good and steady pace without overwhelming yourself or leaving everything to the last minute.

Another tip I would give is not to overthink your grade too much. The fear of failure is natural when submitting assignments in university as we as students put so much pressure on ourselves to do well in every aspect of our course but if you work hard and diligently and answer all the questions that need to be answered in the assignment, then you should do well. Also, try not to compare yourself to others all the time. I know that is far easier said than done as I myself tend to compare myself to my friends and peers but just remember that you are your own individual and everyone has their own circumstances going on in the background so as long as you can wholeheartedly say 'I did my best' then there's nothing more that you can do.

I hope this helps and I really hope you can find some inner confidence and self-belief!

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

thank you very much, it is hard to not compare yourself with others. I have been communicating with my lecturers and I realized I did my entire essay wrong which to be honest I'm in panic mode as I don't have much time left.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending