The Student Room Group

help with fashion portfolio for university

i thought i was meant to make a porfolio by myself like the process and the final product but i asked my teacher to help me cuz im not sure how to start it but i have an idea of what i want to do just need help with starting it THEN she said to look at the uni website and it will tell u what your meant to do and i think she meant like they have a brief of smth that i have to do and now im confused idk if she didnt understand what i meant but i just thought im meant to make my own portfolio and send it to all unis im applying for.
Original post by eLychi
i thought i was meant to make a porfolio by myself like the process and the final product but i asked my teacher to help me cuz im not sure how to start it but i have an idea of what i want to do just need help with starting it THEN she said to look at the uni website and it will tell u what your meant to do and i think she meant like they have a brief of smth that i have to do and now im confused idk if she didnt understand what i meant but i just thought im meant to make my own portfolio and send it to all unis im applying for.

Hi @eLychi

I would recommend collecting lots of your work together as a starting point. Choose some of your favourite artworks/ collections/ designs - anything that shows your creativity. Your portfolio doesn't have to purely revolve around fashion. If you create other artworks and are able to, put some of those aspects in there too. I would suggest including work your proud of and can talk about. If you're also required to take part in an interview, it's most likely that you'll be talking about your portfolio and work, so try to include pieces you are happy to talk about.

Your teacher is not wrong in suggesting looking at the universities' websites. Sometimes unis have a checklist or guidance on how to create a portfolio which are great guides to help start you off. Also keep a look out in your emails too as unis will sometimes send you portfolio criteria about what they would like to see in your portfolio. For example, when I applied for fashion design, some unis wanted a concise portfolio of only 10 pieces of work, whereas others were more open and I could include what I wanted. So be sure to check for any requirements first.

Try not to put too much pressure on your portfolio. It is of course important, but it is a chance for you to show your chosen unis a bit more about yourself and what you're about, so try to enjoy putting it together. It is basically a celebration of your work that you've done so far.

Best of luck and I hope this helps!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU
Original post by eLychi

Have a read of https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/creating-a-digital-portfolio-dos-and-donts

I think the confusion you're having is that for university applications you need to customise your portfolio to meet each university requirements. It doesn't mean each university portfolio will have completely different work in but it might mean some portfolios will be larger or smaller, some will have more sketchbook work and fewer finished pieces, some will have to be submitted as individual images on a specific portal, others you send in as a pdf and others you submit a link to your work online.

Having a "master" portfolio with a broad selection of images and work you can pick and chose from when you're putting together customised portfolios for each application is your starting point.

Quick Reply

Latest