The Student Room Group

stressed about placement

I have started the physician associate course and my placement is ****

There is no teaching there, when I was learning injections the HCA just stood in the background not guiding me, then because it started bleeding she said if she should just do the rest herself. I asked if ai could do one at the end and if she could guid me, when i did it =, she just stood there again. Then when i with a nurse, the patient needed a blood tests and was saying to let me have a go at doing it, he doesn't mind and the nurse said no because apparently she needs to practice her skills even through she's been a nurse for ages.

Also teher are not enough staff teh they also have 2 med stundts and a phramacist that works tehre that shadows nurse and doctors. Surely he can come in another day of he works there. Also there are not enough rooms for all of us.

Also the other day , my supervisor, who i don't even see, was away and I want even told i have my own clinic until the first patient arrived and the nurse i was shadowing got a message. However i didn't even have a supervisor, the nurse who was supposed to supervise wasn't told about it either and had that stupid pharmacist sitting in with him so he said nom, so tehy had to cabcel teh cliclnic. Also becsue the pahramcist was there in teh afternoon as well, they cancelled my afernoon clinics. So te receptionists had to phone teh patients and tell them not to come.

My problem is everyone else loves their placement and are either seeing patients or doing blood and injections whist ive done **** all in the last 5 weeks

I've spoke to the placement lecture at my uni and she wont change me, she's saying its difficult to find more placements, what can i do?

I'm really getting stresses about this
Original post by Kdog21

There is no teaching there, when I was learning injections the HCA just stood in the background not guiding me, then because it started bleeding she said if she should just do the rest herself. I asked if ai could do one at the end and if she could guid me, when i did it =, she just stood there again. Then when i with a nurse, the patient needed a blood tests and was saying to let me have a go at doing it, he doesn't mind and the nurse said no because apparently she needs to practice her skills even through she's been a nurse for ages.

Also teher are not enough staff teh they also have 2 med stundts and a phramacist that works tehre that shadows nurse and doctors. Surely he can come in another day of he works there. Also there are not enough rooms for all of us.

Also the other day , my supervisor, who i don't even see, was away and I want even told i have my own clinic until the first patient arrived and the nurse i was shadowing got a message. However i didn't even have a supervisor, the nurse who was supposed to supervise wasn't told about it either and had that stupid pharmacist sitting in with him so he said nom, so tehy had to cabcel teh cliclnic. Also becsue the pahramcist was there in teh afternoon as well, they cancelled my afernoon clinics. So te receptionists had to phone teh patients and tell them not to come.

My problem is everyone else loves their placement and are either seeing patients or doing blood and injections whist ive done **** all in the last 5 weeks

I've spoke to the placement lecture at my uni and she wont change me, she's saying its difficult to find more placements, what can i do?

Hiya

That's an awful situation to be in, I'm sorry :frown:

There's 2 mediums of support that I can think of for students on placement- the uni and the workplace.

I know you've mentioned that you talked to your placement lecturer but is there anyone else in your uni's placement team that can be of help? There's got to be a central careers email that you can send your problem to. You still are a student so they have an obligation to help you. I know of a similar situation at Durham where a student contacted the uni about not liking their placement and the faculty team got them out of that situation by negotiating with the employer. I think this will be your best shot.

I doubt this will be of much help since you've never even seen your supervisor but maybe get in touch with HR at your workplace? Is there any other person at work who can guide you?

Hopefully one of these avenues can help address your problem and alleviate your stress but if not, you could also try and reach out to your department at uni and maybe they can escalate this issue for you. Good luck!

-Himieka
Original post by Kdog21

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that your placement has been so difficult. If you are not getting the support or learning opportunities that you are supposed to be receiving then, it needs to be raised to either your university or placement trust.

If your university isn't taking you seriously, I would recommend contacting your undergraduate team at the trust to ask for some support. They can either move you to another area or speak to the staff on the unit you are on to make them aware of the opportunities that should be available to you.

As others have said, your university has an obligation to help you as a student and therefore if your link isn't taking you seriously there should be a placement team that you can contact about this situation.

Your placements as a healthcare student are incredibly important in cementing theory to practical application so if they aren't allowing you to grow and develop as a physician then it needs to be highlighted to the relevant people.

I hope you get some resolution to your issues and that someone, be it in university or placement, listens to your concerns.

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending