The Student Room Group

*TW* Suicide/Depression** Depressed bf pushing me away - do I walk away

My depressed bf/ex is pushing me away - what do I do? We argued a few days ago as I was hurt feeling constantly rejected after he cancelled meeting on me again. I voiced it nicely and I understand the impact of depression on cancellations but it just snowballed. We made up after but he told me his mood had dropped so badly that he now definitely couldn't meet for the foreseeable.

I want to support him but he won't get professional help. His issues are extremely severe to the point where he previously could not leave the house for multiple years. He has improved but only when I'm around and has zero other support. He also has a history of suicide attempts and an ED. I'm at a bit of a loss and the fact he is now blocking me out is both concerning and frustrating. I had given him space only to realise he has also blocked me on Facebook (nothing else).

At the moment I'm not reaching out and am investing in my own life while giving him space. I'm wondering if I should reach out in a few days or just assume he wants nothing to do with me.
Original post by Anonymous
My depressed bf/ex is pushing me away - what do I do? We argued a few days ago as I was hurt feeling constantly rejected after he cancelled meeting on me again. I voiced it nicely and I understand the impact of depression on cancellations but it just snowballed. We made up after but he told me his mood had dropped so badly that he now definitely couldn't meet for the foreseeable.

I want to support him but he won't get professional help. His issues are extremely severe to the point where he previously could not leave the house for multiple years. He has improved but only when I'm around and has zero other support. He also has a history of suicide attempts and an ED. I'm at a bit of a loss and the fact he is now blocking me out is both concerning and frustrating. I had given him space only to realise he has also blocked me on Facebook (nothing else).

At the moment I'm not reaching out and am investing in my own life while giving him space. I'm wondering if I should reach out in a few days or just assume he wants nothing to do with me.

having being on both sides of this situation before, i think there's no clear cut solution. its important to look after your own mental health, and if the person you're trying to help isn't receptive to the help, i think it's important to give them space, or you might find yourself taking on a lot of extra baggage that you aren't qualified to carry.

i think allow him the time to talk to you first, don't assume he wants nothing to do with you, sometimes when you're very depressed it's hard to think clearly and appreciate the good things in your life for what they are. however, if his actions are causing you a lot of distress long term with no change it might be that you need to reconsider your relationship with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending