The Student Room Group

Is it normal to forget things from first and second year?

Just like the title says, is it normal to forget things from 1st and 2nd year at uni? I remembered everything for my exams and etc. and got high grades but as time passed, I just started to forget most of the stuff.

I remember the concepts and basic overview of topics within modules but I can’t remember all the details and more specific information. Is that normal?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Just like the title says, is it normal to forget things from 1st and 2nd year at uni? I remembered everything for my exams and etc. and got high grades but as time passed, I just started to forget most of the stuff.

I remember the concepts and basic overview of topics within modules but I can’t remember all the details and more specific information. Is that normal?

Hey!

Yeah, I would say this is definitely normal! You learn so much across so many modules over your 3 years at uni your brain probably can't handle remembering every detail! The fact you remember basic concepts though is good, I definitely didn't always remember even those!🤣 As long as you've got those basic ideas down you can always remind yourself of the extra information so don't worry! It should come back to you much easier then as well.

Best of luck with everything
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Anon,

Yes!

After a long summer break, it's easy to forget most of the things you have learnt even if you can remember the general idea or know that you did learn something about this in your first or second year.

During exam time, you can be super focused and may cram information into your short term memory, which can help you pass exams, but not everything may go into your long term memory.

So it's perfectly normal to have to revise things again from first or second year, and in theory the more you go over things at different times, the more likely it is that you will retain that information.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there,

I think that this is totally inevitable. You're not expected to memorise absolutely everything but have a general understanding of the concepts to apply.

I hope that this helps,

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi Anon,

Yes!

I definitely feel like this is a normal thing to happen. You're getting taught a lot of new information in university, so it is unlikely you'll remember it all in great detail.

It does help to go over these concepts at later times though, and this way you will be more likely to retain more information. I sometimes go over past lectures to refresh my memory, especially as a lot of themes feed into one another.

I hope this helps,
Isabella 🙂

Hi there!

Like others have already mentioned, I think that it is completely normal to forget things that you have been taught in your first and second year! I know that I definitely did for my English Lit degree as there was so much content and reading, but naturally tended to remember key concepts such as literary theories as they related to multiple texts etc.

If you need to remember certain things, definitely do some bits of revision in your 'free' times such as reading weeks or half terms like Christmas and Easter but if you end up circling back to topics in your third year, then your academics might briefly go over them to jog your memory!

If you are concerned, then I would recommend speaking to your academics for some reassurance!

I hope this helps :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Hello,

My name is Haya and I am a final year medical student.

Trust me it IS normal. The human brain can't possibly remember every single detail however throughout my journey in medical school I learned a few techniques that helped me remember facts for longer.

Spatial repetition: a method of reviewing material at systematic intervals.

Active recall: taking a topic you wish to learn, creating questions based on that topic, and then repeatedly testing yourself on those questions

These are science-based methods that have proven to be effective at remembering information on a long term basis.

Best of Luck,
Haya- MBBS 5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending