The Student Room Group

Disillusioned with university

I've been at university for nearly a semester, and I just feel disillusioned with everything. I don't have any friends despite making an effort, none of the sports clubs or societies interest me, and a lot of the people here are quite hostile (take a guess which uni I'm at!).
I like my course and I'm ok with city, but I don't speak to anyone and my confidence has just crashed. I feel like a shell of who I was before university.
I don't want to drop out, and because my grades weren't great, I probably wouldn't get into any of my ideal university choices. I've wasted my parents money and I just feel hollow.
Does anyone have advice? I just feel so disillusioned with everything.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been at university for nearly a semester, and I just feel disillusioned with everything. I don't have any friends despite making an effort, none of the sports clubs or societies interest me, and a lot of the people here are quite hostile (take a guess which uni I'm at!).
I like my course and I'm ok with city, but I don't speak to anyone and my confidence has just crashed. I feel like a shell of who I was before university.
I don't want to drop out, and because my grades weren't great, I probably wouldn't get into any of my ideal university choices. I've wasted my parents money and I just feel hollow.

I often advise people to join clubs and societies even if they're not particularly interested in them - specifically for the opportunity to spend time with people outside their course and accommodation.

No-one has ever responded, weeks or months later, telling me that they tried that approach and it didn't work. I therefore choose to assume that this is sound advice. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous

Get a job and get involved with volunteering. It’s a lot easier to friends when you’re focused on other work/tasks together plus it will keep you busy and give you a sense of achievement (plus some cash for paid work).

Both volunteering and work are good ways to find fellow students who aren’t hostile/negative.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi! I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time with university, it can be really difficult to adjust to such a new way of living. My advice would be to join some societies, or find something extracurricular that you are really passionate about, whether its volunteering, work experience, sports etc. It makes finding friends a lot easier as well as giving you a break from academics. I personally struggled a lot in my first semester but things gradually got better throughout the year, now I'm in second year and things are considerably better! Not everyone has the best time immediately, for some people it takes more time
Hang on in there, and good luck.
-Kat (2nd year psychology undergraduate, Lancaster University)
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear about your experience.
I know it can be difficult to fit in at University, and it can be especially difficult for more introverted students. (I remember being in your position this time in first year, and I can reassure you there are many other students in a similar position, and you are definitely not alone.)

Although none of the societies interest you, perhaps you can attend a few sessions to meet new people. The experience with that society may improve after you get to know one or two people. :smile:
If not, try speaking to those in the same classes as you. I am sure you will have something in common, considering you study the same subject. :smile: I understand it takes a lot of courage, and it may take a couple of tries, but keep going.
The thing that you would not want is for your mental health to worsen during University. I would really recommend reaching out to the wellbeing and support team at your university. In fact, they sometimes host support groups where people can network :smile:. Also have a look at your student union website. I know there are multiple opportunities to get involved. Maybe your University offers walking or coffee buddies, where they pair you with another student?

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending